Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

How to download ringtones to samsung rant M540 through USB?

I bought the M540, I have an 8gb microSD card, I want to download many ringtones I have in my computer to the phone, How can I do that and have them work as ringtones, and not as just music files to be heard when I open the player??

Unregistered
    Go to ventones.com and on the side they will have a create ringtones and you can use your own mp3 as ringtones and all u have to do is sign up which is totally free but the only catch is that they have a caucasian baby with a snow background when you save it for the video file but the ringtones can only be for calls.

Unregistered
    *****DISCLAIMER*****
    Before you can start adding / editing files on your phone, you'll need to "hack" it. Do so at your own risk.

First things first, you'll need the following (brackets indicate the version of the software that I used):
    ----------------
    -Samsung m540
    -USB Data cable that came with phone
    -Bitpim (1.0.7. ...)
    -Samsung USB Drivers (MCCI 4.34 WHQL v3.4)
    -CDMA Workshop 2.7

Our first order of business is that we have to get it so that our PHONE is recognized through USB. To do this and gain FileSystem Access, you will need to install the Samsung USB Drivers mentioned above (Google should be able to find it, and Widows Update should find any updates once it's installed). It will need to be a recent version as the m540 Slyde is a new model. Install the setup file of the USB drivers, now plug your phone into a USB port.

Now, most times your device will be "locked", so in order to "unlock" enabling it to be located by BitPim for a future step,

Keeping your USB connected:

• Open CDMA Workshop 2.7 and go to the MAIN tab
    • In the "COM Setting" section select the correct COM for your cell in the drop-down menu
    • Click "Connect"
    • Click "QCDM" which stands for Qualcomm
    • Go to the SECURITY tab
    • In the "Password (16 digits)" section select "Samsung (default) in the drop-down menu
    • Leaving everything else as-is (usually blank by default), just click "Send" and that will bring up a dialog box saying "Password Accepted. Your Phone is now Unlocked"
    • Go back to the MAIN tab and click "Disconnect" so you will be able to connect to that COM with BitPim

Bitpim is real easy if you made it this far.

• Open bitpim
    • Click on 'Find Phone', it should automatically detect your phone as 'Other Phone'
    • Click on 'Filesystem' and you should have access

Custom Ringtones

What you will need:
    --------
    -Your phone
    -USB Cable
    -Filesystem Access
    -Bitpim
    -A text editor (Notepad)
    -MP3
    -Audacity (If your *.mp3 is not properly formated)
    -Lame MP3 Encoder For exporting from Audacity to *.mp3

Ok, now we need to make sure your file is the correct format.

• Open up Audacity
    • Open the ringtone you want to use
    • Click "File"
    • Click "Export as MP3"
    • When the save option comes up, save it as .gc and in the box below have it set to "All Files"
    • "Lame MP3 for Audacity" will pop up if installed, click "OK"

Now your MP3 audio is encoded in the proper format for your cell to use.

That was the easy part, now you need to get the files into the phone.

For an audio ringtone there are 3 files we are interested in:
    1. The ringtone itself (.GC) which has just been created
    2. The indexing file (.TXT)
    3. The xml indexing file (.DD)

Bring up the already open BitPim

For #2 we have to construct a file which will tell the phone where our ringtone is, the name, etc. This file we will make/copy in the following directory (browse to it in Bitpim) '/brew/mod/obione/jas/index' In this folder you should see a few text files. Any content on your phone such as ringtones (or say java aps) are each indexed here as a separate text file saved incrementally. So if you have downloaded anything in the past, you should see some files: 1.txt, 2.txt, 3.txt,... and you can copy one of those and work off that.

If you haven't downloaded anything before onto your phone from your provider, you can copy my example below and save it as 1.txt. If you already have files up to say, 12.txt, you will want your custom ringtone to be saved as 13.txt. Let's look at the file we have to save:

"
    CONF: 13
    COSH: 13
    TYPE: audio/mp3
    SIZE: 129076
    FEXT:
    ENCO:
    TPID: 1
    OWNR: 1
    VRNG: 0
    PATH: mmc1/jas/content/13.gc
    FDNM: Ringtones
    SUBD:
    DOMA: 0
    SGLE: 0

ROLE: 0

MMSK: 000000001
    CATE: 1
    STAT: 2
    COID:
    DURL:
    NAME: YourRingtoneName
    VEND: YourVendorName
    TIME: 1231595721
    ICON:
    ISIZ: 0
    FLCK: 1

"

If you are starting with a new ringtone and don't have a downloaded one to work off of, copy everything in italics above to a new text file The only lines you need to worry about are

• CONF - change it to match the #
    • COSH - change it to match the #
    • PATH - Make sure it matches "mmc1/jas/content/13.gc"
    • NAME - Keep it short
    • VEND - I used Koodo, but either way, also keep it short

That's the end of # 2 (.TXT file)

Now we have to take care of #3 which is a bit easier than #2.

Again, copy this to a new text file (this was mine from purchasing "Im on a Boat"), and all you need to edit is the NAME and VENDOR sections

"
    <media xmlns="http://www.openmobilealliance.org/xmlns/dd">
    <type>audio/mp3</type>
    <type>application/vnd.oma.drm.message</type>
    <objectURI>http://koodo.contentportal.verisign.com/content/dl/truetone/ImOnABoatFeatT.dm?ctx=123456789</objectURI>
    <size>102937</size>
    <name>INSERT_NAME</name>
    <vendor>INSERT_VENDOR_NAME</vendor>
    <installNotifyURI>http://koodo.contentportal.verisign.com/content/osr?ctx=123456789</installNotifyURI>
    </media>
    "

Save this as a .DD file with the same number as #1 & 2

Now it's time to drag & drop those 3 files onto your cell with BitPim

• Bring up BitPim
    • Navigate to '/brew/mod/obione/jas/index'
    • Drag & drop the .TXT file into that folder
    • Navigate to '/mmc1/jas/content/'
    • Drag & drop the .GC & .DD files ino that folder
    • Reboot your cell

The Ringtone should now be in the "Ringtones" section of your cell

If you want multiple custom Ringtones, use the same steps just changing #'s.

If you had any problems feel free to post, I certainly didn't get it working the first time, it took me a few days to get this far, but now that I have a method down, I can create new ones in a few minutes.

***Credits go to some of the other Samsung phone threads out there and all the information contained within that gave me a basis for this information and a starting point as to where I could go to figuring all of this out.***

Unregistered
    I've updated it to include step-by-step images.

HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - SPH-m540 and Koodo File System Access Problems

Unregistered

Devil Help

How can i find a driver for my samsung sph-m540 so i can put pictures ans music and stuff on it through usb

Unregistered

Missing directory

Hey, just a question:

'/brew/mod/obione/jas/index' doesn't show in my Filesystem in BitPim. I can see '/brew/mod/obione/ses/storage' but not the other directory. I have downloaded ringtones from the Sprint Store before though... what's up? What am I missing?

Unregistered
    I'm using my laptop to do this and my usb ports are COM 5 and up...not COM 1,2,3 or 4...as far as I can see CDMA only supports COM 1-4 and mine are all 5 or higher...so what do I do?

Unregistered

Lightbulb On Toronto,Canada Samsung Telus Hellp

[email protected] I'm from toronto just both the phone from telus can the some thing. I have been online for hours looking to unlock or hack into the phone so I can use mp3 as my ringh tone .Also when I put my ub into the comptuer that is the same of the driver. Will I see any fileds Please me at my accoount.I have the same SPH M540 phone

Unregistered
    you have to download the driver form the samsung site Samsung PC Studio 3 that what it's called once installed it will detect the modem drives automatically.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny D View Post
    I bought the M540, I have an 8gb microSD card, I want to download many ringtones I have in my computer to the phone, How can I do that and have them work as ringtones, and not as just music files to be heard when I open the player??
    Just find an online converter site for 3gp. That is the ringtone file type for Rants and most other phones. There are a lot out there. I can't remember the name of the one I used, sorry. But, after you convert your file download it to your microSD, then it should be available as a custom ringtone. Oh boy, am I glad Ralph Simon came up with mobile ringtones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast