Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    liz m

What is the statute of limitations on extortion and blackmail in Michigan?

There is a man that has been harassing me for a long time now. I found out that he takes and deals illegal drugs so I was comtemplating going to the police. The man heard about it and told me if I went to the police he would get me charged with extortion and blackmail. I never extorted blackmailed him for anything! He is trying to manipulate me and says that is smart and could make me look guilty of crimes to the police. What is the statute of limitations of extortion and blackmail? I heard it is 10 years in MI is that true?

I never committed any crimes but I am scared this man is going to try to frame me for something. But don't you need proof for extortion? Simply giving the police a phony story about me supposedly extorting him won't hold up will it?

Unregistered
    Show some backbone. You have the law on your side.

Unregistered
    Hey, y'all. There's a little something called PROOF. Innocent until proven guilty. Regardless of the complaint, the police will have to investigate or drop charges, or simply dismiss the complaint as invalid.