I bought a Nokia N81 here in South Africa but now I'm going to the USA in April...

BurningIce

Oct 21, 2008
...2009, will it work there? I bought a Nokia N81 here in South Africa but now I'm moving to the USA in April 2009, will the Nokia N81 I bought in SA work in the USA? As far as I know it should work but I'll just have to buy another sim card there

It will work but as Nick said the cellphone service here is really bad in comparison to home. I have to stand on the balcony to get decent signal in my apartment. I'm on AT&T but I've heard the others are not much better either. Good luck with your move!

It will work but as Nick said the cellphone service here is really bad in comparison to home. I have to stand on the balcony to get decent signal in my apartment. I'm on AT&T but I've heard the others are not much better either. Good luck with your move!

It sure will! I had an N81 too, and because it runs on Quad Band, it worked in the States. In the USA, they run on GSM 1900 frequency, and here in SA, we run on GSM 900/1800. My phone switched over automatically when I used AT&T (Which is horrible by the way!)

...2009, will it work there? I bought a Nokia N81 here in South Africa but now I'm moving to the USA in April 2009, will the Nokia N81 I bought in SA work in the USA? As far as I know it should work but I'll just have to buy another sim card there

Ya your Nokia n81 mobile will work in USA with any GSM sim there only if your phone is unlocked one else if it is locked to some other network provider in africa then you can't use it with any other GSM sim until you unlock it .You can easily unlock your phone using sites like Unlock-Zone.com they are rendering network unlock code for all mobile models at reliable cost .After purchasing the code visit sites like MobileUnlockGuide.com to get free instruction about how to use that code and unlock your phone ..

Back