Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why does my guinea pig bite me? And how can I train him to pee and poo in the...

...one spot? More info click.? My guinea pig likes to bite my fingers when I hold him, also whenever I change my guinea pigs newspaper he seems to choose a new toilet area each time? I've even tried to place some of his poo into a container lid to train him to poop in there. Any hints?

Unregistered
    First, try to make the rest of the cage a non-poop zone. That is, for example, one corner is the food dish, one corner is the water bottle, and one corner is the bed, so the little guy automatically chooses the remaining, neutral corner as the toilet. You can also try cleaning the rest of the cage very thoroughly to make sure he doesn't smell some old pee or something in a place where you don't want him to be thinking about the potty (but don't use harsh cleaning products or anything scented!). Then place some soiled bedding or poop in the place you want him to go potty, and if you spot some soiled bedding somewhere else in the cage, remove it promptly to reinforce the idea that only one spot in the cage is the toilet.
    Also wash your hands before handling your pet. He may smell something tasty or threatening, and that is why he is biting your fingers. My pigs don't do it, but my hamster used to always get confused when I wore nail polish, and he would nibble at my nails; so try to identify things like that. If your pet is just nibbling, he might just be playing; if he is really biting at you, he might be scared for some reason, so make sure you are supporting him well (hand under back feet/rump and hand around ribs/belly) when you hold him. It is actually quite rare to have a cavy who will give a good bite!