How do I overcome a rumor made about me?

EJ

Jun 10, 2008
I recently found out that someone I thought I had a good friendship with was apparently spreading rumors about me behind my back.

She had helped me get through some tough times, and when she went through her problems, I thought that as a friend, I should be there for her. She talked about not having friends to turn to, and wanting to kill herself, so I went the extra mile to make sure I was there for her. In a nutshell, I took the roll of being a mentor/friend/big-brother-type to her.

What I had come to find out was that she was spreading the rumor that her and I were having an intimate, albeit secret, relationship, and that I was insisting on keeping it a secret.

Now the cat's somewhat out of the bag, and while I don't think she knows that I'm aware of what she did, I'm going to try NOT to retaliate and just move forward.

The problem is that this rumor has more-or-less given others (especially some co-workers) the wrong perception of me, and I'd really like to figure out how to get past it and overcome the impression that rumor has made.

Back