Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

The puppy keeps whining?

near the road
    it cant go to a home thingy till monday
    and it has settled down with me now, (im looking after it in my room because my parents have 3 young childeren)
    but when i leave it whines
    and it does sometimes when im here
    its got a bed
    and stuff
    and got toys and food

it wont go for a walk yet, it gets to scared

what else can i do for it?

its only a yound pupy, like 3-5 months (ish) and its a collie... we thinkk

tar xxx

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's still a baby so it will behave like one. You need to give it lots of cuddles and reassurance, don't stop taking it for walks because this will only make things worse. It needs to get used to all these new sounds and noises around it which can seem very loud to a pup. My 4 month old yorkie sometimes starts barking and yelping when i take her out for a walk, but she has to learn and it will stop in time. As for whinning when you leave, it's only natural but they soon learn that you will be back. If you let them away with it now it will only make the problem worse and you will end up with a badly behaved dog through no fault of it's own because it hasn't been trained properly.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If I'm reading you right, the puppy is 3-5 months old, found by the side of the road, and you have taken it into your room, at least temporarily. But it keeps whining,and you don't know why.
    Have you checked it for possible injuries? We found ours at ten months, half-starved and with his left elbow both broken and dislocated. If it has been on its own for awhile, it's probable that he has at least parasite issues, and possibly worse. He should see a vet for a wellness check as soon as possible, to start his shots, deworm him and check his general condition.
    Probably, unless there is a huge distension of the abdomen or some other apparent problem, the whining is just the result of a new and unfamiliar place, and insecurity. Company, warm and casual, is probably your best bet, to help him feel welcome but not pressured. You are taking him outside to potty, aren't you? He will probably need to go out every 2-3 hours, and right after eating. Don't worry if he won't go out on a leash, this is not something that comes naturally, and he probably hasn't been trained to do it. Just pick him up and take him outside, though he ought to be on a leash, lest he run off. When he has a clean bill of health, then you can worry about leash-training.
    Meanwhile, so long as he is eating and drinking, and eliminating normally, he'll probably be okay till Monday. But if he begins to whine or whimper urgently, there may be some occult damage, in which case you ought to take him to the emergency vet or, if you aren't planning to keep him, to a no-kill shelter. There, he could receive treatment fairly quickly, and be started toward finding a new home.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Like the above check for injuries because there is a high possibilityy that it has an injury. Also do not give it lots of attention if it whines (and has not got an injury) if it is a collie it will pick up on things very quickly like "if i whine and act scared i get attention and food...yay" you dont want to encourage this behaviour. If it is just doing it to get attention tell it to 'SHH' then ignore it for a small amount of time (2-4 mins) then if it hasnt whined during that time then give it a biscuit or a fun toy to play with you with.

Good luck hope you find it a great home!!

Junior Member Dachshundsforlifee's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    go back to school ...

Junior Member Dachshundsforlifee's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    go back to school ...