MMA-to-Boxing? Old Styles-to-New? I got into watching MMA with UFC 1 back in the 90's. Then I got into Boxing competition when I was 18. So I know a lot about Combat Sports. And as the sport of MMA has grown, people keep bringing Bruce Lee into it. Sometimes in a good way, while others use Lee as some ancient relic of Martial Arts. But is that really fair though? Bruce Lee was 33 years old when he died, and he was the First-True-MMA-Fighter. Lee was the first major fighter to incorporate different styles into his own. He knew every style has it's flaws. Boxing doesn't have kicks. Kick Boxing doesn't have Wrestling. Wrestling doesn't have submissions. Lee knew this and fixed the problem. Also since he died at 33, he didn't get to live on to add to the style he created in Jeet Kune Do. If Lee was still alive today he would be 68 years old; so we honestly can't even imagine what he would have been able to add and create if he had a longer life. So I personally don't think it is fair to compare a fighter living today, to someone who has pasted away. That's like saying a modern doctor is better then one from 100 years ago. It's a different time, different technologies, and you can't know how the doctor from 100 years ago would have learned and used modern medical equipment and techniques. I'm no expert on Bruce Lee, but I find it insulting that people keep using him as a comparison to dated Martial Arts styles; instead of giving him credit for making MMA in the first place. And by using this idea that modern MMA fighters would beat Bruce Lee; that is just wrong. Just like making a ((BOXER)) like Mike Tyson, seem harmless because he doesn't fight in MMA. I know it is human nature to wonder who-vs-who, but it can't really be done successfully. If Bruce Lee was still alive and was 33 years old; then MMA would view him differently. They wouldn't try comparing some generic fighter with a few wins, to Bruce Lee.

Does anyone else feel this way? I know Newbie MMA fans don't always understand the core of MMA. Nor do non-fighters really understand what it is like to fight unless you have been there. Because it might look easy, but that is because Pros are doing it; so yeah it doesn't seem as complicated. Street fights and Combat Sports are two VERY different beasts! In a street fight two persons aren't thinking much, they are just throwing whatever. In Combat Sports it is all about skill and thinking 10 moves ahead of your opponent. But if ((ALL)) Fans and Reporters had any idea how complex Combat Sports are, then MMA and a guy like Bruce Lee would take on a whole different meaning. So you would understand that by someone asking "Who Would Win Bruce Lee Or Mike Tyson?", that the question is flawed. And trying to compare a man who isn't around to defend his image anymore; to whichever fighter is Hot this month; would seem almost childish.

People shouldn't throw the name "Bruce Lee" around like it has no meaning. Terms like "Champion", "Best", "Perfect" have already lost their credibility in Combat Sports. So I just don't think Bruce Lee should be one of those interchangeable terms. Bruce Lee is an Icon, A Legend! The so-called Best-In-The-World-Fighter this week, will be the butt of jokes next week. So people shouldn't use Bruce Lee's name loosely.