Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    ken1912

Bells Palsy Any Information would be most gratefully received.?

I have moved up a grade from "Shingles" to what is called "Bells Palsy". Can anyone give me any tips on getting rid of the "itching", about shaving and what is in store for me in general please.

crazeygrazey
    I have met two people with Bell's and the condition is temporary (about three months, I think).

Extract from Wiki:;

Doctors may prescribe anti-inflammatory and anti-viral drugs. Early treatment is necessary for the drug therapy to have effect. The effect of treatment is still controversial. Most people recover spontaneously and achieve near-normal functions. Many show signs of improvement as early as 10 days after the onset, even without treatment.

Protect the eye. Often the eye in the affected side cannot be closed. The eye must be protected from drying up, or the cornea may be permanently damaged resulting in impaired vision.

Daisyhill
    poor you...my sister had this and it is awful..her face was numb and she couldnt move it....sometimes in bad cases the feeling cannot return...keep warm and rested...it can be brought on by stress so try to relax...she got better after about three or four weeks.

Cheryl o
    I had Bells Palsy about 8 years ago after having a biopsy on a lump in my neck. Bells Palsy is a viral infection of the facial muscles, usually affecting one side of the face. I was completely paralysed down the right side of my face, it was very hard to eat or drink as I would dribble. I was put on steroids to help and after about 5 weeks I began to get some feeling back. By 6 weeks I was much better, but even now when I am tired my right eye closes slightly. I was lucky some people do suffer from permanant paralysis from it.

My doctor told me it was very rare for a woman to get it as usually it's men in the late 20's who suffer from it. They say it can be caused by the wind from driving a car with the window down.