Is there such thing as Torrent spyware/virus?

assclownbush

Oct 11, 2008
I DLed and installed BitTorrent application. Then dl'ed a torrent file. I did not download anything via BitTorrent. I then opened the torrent file with BitTorrent to see what the torrent was made up of. Then I begin to hear this "Hi, I'm Mick Jagger" sound bite play over my speakers. I immediately deleted the torrent file, uninstalled BitTorrent, ran AVG AntiVirus, checked my Comodo firewall, did AdAware scan and I haven't heard the voice again. What that a virus? Spyware?

After deleting the torrent, all my scans have come back clean. What was the stupid sound bite?

a .torrent file is a small text file that is used to start a torrent. It contains the address to the tracker server, and the hash of the torrent.
http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/This_funny_word#.torrent

Since it is a text file, it could not have been the cause of the audio. Opening a torrent in a bittorrent client only sets up communications for the transfer of the associated content.

If the torrent file had contained audio, it would have been rejected by any torrent client as an invalid torrent.

Back