Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No. Just because you TV is HD, you can connect any DVD player (assuming your TV has all the usual inputs [Scart, RGB etc])

The fact that you are not recieving any picture from your player to your TV either indicates that the wiring between the player and TV is wrong, however, as you say that you have the connections correct, the only other option I can see is that you are not turning the TV to the correct AV input from the DVD player source. Try flicking between AV channels on your TV whilst the DVD is playing to find which channel your dvd player is using. Depending on which TV you have, the AV channels might be named after the input being used.

Downloads
    Uploads

Do I need a compatible DVD player for my HD TV?

I recently bought an HDTV. My DVDs will play but there is often no picture. Do I have to buy an HD compatible DVD player? I have all the wires in the correct places.
    I should have said HD ready TV
    Hi, I have checked everythings connected correctly & jiggled the wires around. When my daughter watches her DVDs, they work fine, it only happens when i want to watch DVD films etc. the sound is there but no picture.

Downloads
    Uploads
    you need a HD ready dvd player if you want a clear picture but if you want to watch blue-ray films you have to buy a seperate lead

Downloads
    Uploads
    Any DVD player should work with your HD Ready tv if you connect it using the SCART connectors. You only need an HD (Blu-ray) player if you're going to play Blu-ray discs.

The SCART system can handle three types of video signal: RGB, S-Video and Composite. The sending unit and the receiving unit have to have their connectors configured to the same system. Normally this is set by default to RGB on all devices. But it's worth checking.

You should make sure that the SCART socket on the television is configured to receive RGB input. This is usually done via the set-up menu, check the instruction book.

If you are not using SCART then make sure that whatever else you're using is correctly connected.
    If it's Component then be sure that you are connected to Component sockets on the tv and the player. Sometimes people get confused and connect Component at one end and RGB at the other.

As a last ditch resort you should connect using Composite. That is the single yellow phono socket on the player and tv (often provided as a camera input). You will also need red and white phono leads for the sound.

If all is well with the leads and the socket configuration then check the region code of the player. It's possible that your daughter's discs are different from yours.

The last thing that comes to mind is that you are trying to play discs which are copies of something and that the format of the recordings is not compatible with the player.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nope you can still play an ordinary DVD in an Ordinary DVD player through a HD ready TV though obviously you need a HD player if you want to play actual HD DVD's

how do you have it connected? If it's scart it could be a problem either with the Scart sockets on either the TV or the DVD player, or a fault with the Scart lead. Try giving it a wiggle next time it's playing.

Edit: okay, then the only other explanations that I can offer is that it's either a problem with the DVD itself, or even that you could possibly be on the wrong channel. Some TVs have an AV-RGB channel where you would be able to hear sound but see no picture (or the picture would be in black and white)