Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

MMA on Yahoo Answers?

This is not a question in the traditional I-need-an-answer sense, but more of a discussion question arising out of curiosity. I know the reason this is so (their popularity through TV), but does anyone else find it amusing or interesting how many posts in the martial arts Yahoo Answers section are MMA or UFC related? It must be more than half based on what I see.

Personally, I think it's interesting just because many (although not all) traditional martial arts and the culture that goes with them are so different than MMA or UFC and the culture that goes with that. They just come from such different places mentally, physically, and culturally, and I feel like they often attract very different people. Like I said before, this is not true for all traditional martial arts, some are far more similar to MMA/UFC, but many are quite different.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a question for you. how come "who would win, Bruce Lee or Jet le?" gets more answers than any question containing technique or a question about an actual art?

Downloads
    Uploads
    its easy to use the term MMA when your are talking about a martial art since it encompesses all of them

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe MMA should have its own category, but it is intertwined with traditional martial arts.

A karate style front push kick is really what did in Kimbo. He rushed in after the push kick and got jacked in the jaw.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I also think this would be a good idea,instead of having random martial arts questions, I think it would make a good category.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think that MMA questions related to televised events should be relegated to TV boards.

If you yourself are in MMA and have a legitimate question regarding preparation for a fight or analysis of your last fight then bring it on.

I'm a little disappointed at how many questions get thrown up regarding UFC events.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe MMA should become a new category.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe MMA should have its own category, but it is intertwined with traditional martial arts.

A karate style front push kick is really what did in Kimbo. He rushed in after the push kick and got jacked in the jaw.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree that they should be seperated, Im sick of all the (What style is best for me or what martial is best for my 8yo?) Thats all your going to see is 2 day old questions about MCDOJOS and fighting styles, or who would win in a fight Bruce Lee vs Chuck Norris, or rants about how people are sick of UFC questions. Does YAHOO have a tradional martial arts category in the sports section, no they have a MMA category though. And all the Y/A sample questions in the MMA section are from this forum. Personally, I think its funny how all these TMA elitist are starting to get offended by the growth and popularity of MMA.

Downloads
    Uploads
    there should definitely be an MMA section. Or, more importantly, why should everyone care so much? Does it offend you that people these days don't practice martial arts like ancient samurai or bruce lee? Today people just like to compete within their discipline rather than live the lifestyle and philosophy that goes along with the art.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast