Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Still confused how to power stereo speakers. HT amp or integrated stereo amplifier?

I was considering upgrading my 6-disc changer to an Onkyo DX 7555 because it apparently is a better sounding CD player.

Now most people that review this CD player say they are powering it with an Onkyo A-9555 integrated stereo amplifier because they claim it sounds almost "tube like."

I plan on or was planning on picking up an Onkyo SR606 HT receiver for my new HT setup. What is the best way to power a CD player like the DX7555 and good stereo speakers for the best sound quality?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Separate amplifiers tend to sound a little better than integrated receivers, but that also depends on the quality overall. Most seperate systems start getting pricey and the quality is usually high. Typically one would have a preamp and amplifier(s). The A-9555 is an integrate amplifier, meaning it has a preamp built in.

The 9555 is a little bit more expensive than the 606. One thing the 9555 will lack in compared to the 606 is bass management, in case you are using a subwoofer. I don't see a subwoofer output on that model.

What I would do is audition the A-9555 along with a TX-SR606 and see if you can hear the difference. You gain a lot of other features with the 606 (like a radio tuner, and possible use as a 5.1 or 7.1 channel system), so if your ear is happy with it you save $$$ and have a more versatile product. Step up to the 706 and you would have a THX Select2 certified receiver with Audyssey MultEQ auto setup (makes a nice difference in sound I think).