Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

How can I help my roommate to eat healthy?

I'm a college student who is trying to be decently health conscious - eating right, going to the gym semi-regularly, etc. Unfortunately, my roommate (who I've actually known since the 6th grade) doesn't seem to feel the same way. He is probably the pickiest eater I've ever come across, and his diet is absolutely disgusting. Because he's actually pretty skinny and seemingly healthy, he sees no problem with his eating habits. What do you think?

First of all, he completely despises the following:
    - All fruits
    - All vegetables (except carrots, which he rarely eats, anyway)
    - Chicken, turkey, and all other poultry in every shape and form
    - Steak
    - Pork
    - Rice
    - Beans
    - All breads, except Italian bread
    - Yogurt
    - Most ice creams
    - Milk
    - Cheese
    - All soups
    - Sandwich meats (ham, bologna, etc.)

His average day goes like this (his diet LITERALLY consists of the following):

- Either a bagel or dry cereal for breakfast (because he hates milk, and he doesn't choose the healthiest cereals, either)
    - For lunch and dinner he eats either pizza or a hamburger (with no cheese, lettuce, tomato or anything) and a heaping helping of french fries, all loaded with enough ketchup to feed a third-world country

Back in the dorm room, he likes to snack on goldfish crackers, Doritos, popcorn, Twizzlers, chocolate chip cookies, Little Debbie snacks, ice cream sandwiches, Italian bread smothered in butter, pop tarts, pound cakes...and a bunch more garbage.

He also drinks NOTHING BUT SODA. In addition to the glass or two he has with lunch and dinner, he also goes through about 2 cans a day just sitting in the dorm.

Now, the trick is this: he's an extremely stubborn, immature and pigheaded guy. How do I let him know that his eating habits are not only poor on the short term, but in the long term as well? All attempts to talk to him so far have failed; he takes them as a personal attack. What do I do?

Downloads
    Uploads
    You cannot change him and the more that you try, the more stubborn he will become. As you say, he sees no reason to change and he is happy with his dietary habits. He is also not trying to force you to change your way of living.

I commend you on your approach to your health and fitness. Your attitude in regard to yourself is healthy and mature. I commend you on that. If you find that it is impossible to sit by quietly while he eats, try to spend more time doing your research in the library or the common room at your dorm. Your other option would be to request a change in roommate, which should be a last resort if you want to remain friends.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There's a fantastic site that I've been visiting for a few weeks now, it's got stacks of free help and advice and illustrates to you how to shed some pounds the right way, without dieting. I worked off 6 pounds in seven weeks by following their techniques http://xrl.us/omj9s

Downloads
    Uploads
    it's so kind and thoughtful of you to worry about his eating habbits, but he's old enough now to chose healthy choices on his own. if that's the diet he sticks with so be it. it's his life.... he does have a bad eating habbit but there is nothing you can do about it.