Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

How do I explain to my dad that at my age having an internet filter is

completely ridiculous? I'm a 16 year old honors student in 11th grade. My dad put a filter on my computer when I was 12, which is perfectly understandable. But now I think it's a little much. The filter blocks EVERYTHING, even if it's something perfectly family-friendly. It's not like I'm trying to look at nasty stuff, because I'm not. I just want to be able to use the web like a normal person. In addition to the web filter, he password protected the PC so I can't get on it when I want to. Basically, I need to go and ask him if I can go on MY computer, which is obscene. Also, if he's feeling particularly lazy, he won't even let me on, even if I have to do homework.

I'm pretty sure that, at the age of sixteen, I can use the internet responsibly.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Be patient with your dad. The internet is still wild and crazy. He's mostly right and that's enough because he loves you. Just keep on showing responsibility.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Your father has it on there for a reason. Your age and grades have nothing to do with it. There are things out there that you don't need to see, apparently you want to. We have our computer filtered and password protected to protect our children and believe or not, we don't want or need to see the garbage that is on the internet.

Homework is a different thing entirely. But I am sure you can leave the filters on and have your own password so you can do your homework. Instead of getting upset and yelling about it, approach him in a respectful manner and ask nicely if he can do something so that you can do your school work without having to ask him the password all the time. If he is reasonable, he will do something, if he doesn't, ask why, he may tell you.