Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

is a VW Beetle good for a first car ?

I'm talking about the CLASSIC Beetles. Not the new ones with the engine and everything in front of the car.

Is it uncool for a guy to drive a Beetle ?

I'm thinking about saving up money and buying a car. I've been having driving tests every day.

Downloads
    Uploads
    well any car that was made before 1987 is probably pretty sturdy ( the were made of metal and steel back then, unlike plastic and fiberglass now). I think its cool. whatever makes you happy. Safety first though. I was in a head on collision when i was 17 and lost my spleen and 1/2 my liver. when i bought my next car i went for safety not cosmetic. trust me i am glad i wasnt in a miata! best of luck to you!

Downloads
    Uploads
    wells its ur first car as long it goes its good

Downloads
    Uploads
    well, they dont hold up to a crash very well. You should probably (even though I sound like your dad) get a bit more damage resistant vehicle to learn to drive with, A head on in an old beetle is sure death. I know, a good friend of my brother was killed instantly in one.(Learning to drive well goes way beyond drivers ed, believe me) Not that anything would be your fault, but it takes a while to learn to be a defensive driver, and avoid accidents. Vw.s are cool. Ive had a couple myself. But my first vehicle was a big ol' truck. Im thankfull for that. Another thing to consider is that you have to drive then a certain way because they only have 40 horsepower, unless you build the engine. You cant lug the engine or it wont last, and if you over rev them they wear out and have other problems. They require a certain finese to drive that new drivers dont have the patience for. They are good to get a little later on, and learn how to work on , because they are easy to work on, and you can do a lot to them pretty cheaply. But you wont be happy wondering why cylinder No. 3 is overheating, and why the brakes are so crappy, when you are just trying to learn. Get a toyota or a honda, or nissan. They are tough and reliable.

And if you dont believe me now, you will.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A classic beetle is a cool car. It shows multiple character traits: 1) You can repair and keep up your own car (old cars break down, need repairs, etc...) 2) you can drive stick. 3) you appreciate history.

On another plus side, a beetle is fairly easy to park since it's small, there are lots of spare parts for it around, and the mechanics are simple. No unnecessary (and harder to repair) networks of sensors, computers, etc...

Tip: When saving for a used car, calculate a grand or two for repairs in the first year. And subsequent years, too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with the previous answerer's value for safety. I completely agree. Any car would be fine as long the your driving is in check. I just have a penchant for VW since it was the car I used to learn how to drive. All the best!

Downloads
    Uploads
    well, they dont hold up to a crash very well. You should probably (even though I sound like your dad) get a bit more damage resistant vehicle to learn to drive with, A head on in an old beetle is sure death. I know, a good friend of my brother was killed instantly in one.(Learning to drive well goes way beyond drivers ed, believe me) Not that anything would be your fault, but it takes a while to learn to be a defensive driver, and avoid accidents. Vw.s are cool. Ive had a couple myself. But my first vehicle was a big ol' truck. Im thankfull for that. Another thing to consider is that you have to drive then a certain way because they only have 40 horsepower, unless you build the engine. You cant lug the engine or it wont last, and if you over rev them they wear out and have other problems. They require a certain finese to drive that new drivers dont have the patience for. They are good to get a little later on, and learn how to work on , because they are easy to work on, and you can do a lot to them pretty cheaply. But you wont be happy wondering why cylinder No. 3 is overheating, and why the brakes are so crappy, when you are just trying to learn. Get a toyota or a honda, or nissan. They are tough and reliable.
    And if you dont believe me now, you will.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, easy to replace parts because it's not hard to access.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you are worried about a guy driving a beetle, perhaps you should walk.
    I started in one and went back to it a couple of times. Easy to fix, good for hunting, fishing, tooling around, hill climbing, bar hopping, skiing,camping, going to work, and parties. For a car it does great. But can you get one?

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you are worried about a guy driving a beetle, perhaps you should walk.
    I started in one and went back to it a couple of times. Easy to fix, good for hunting, fishing, tooling around, hill climbing, bar hopping, skiing,camping, going to work, and parties. For a car it does great. But can you get one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast