Is running significantly more effective than biking?

Gabby

May 16, 2008
I am underweight and trying to gain weight healthily, but I want to build muscle. I really don't like running that much (I trained with XC over the summer but then switched schools so I am not doing XC anymore, but I am still sick of running).
If I go biking, would that really not help at all [compared to running]? I want to gain muscle in my legs and stuff. And then every other day I thought lunges, sit ups, push ups, abs, stuff like that.

Or any other suggestions more fun than running? Then I could go running one day and maybe mix it up for a couple days. :)

to build muscle you need to use Weights running is not going to make your legs stronger you need weight training , I work out 4 times a week and the cardio that i do is Mountain biking and playing soccer i cant consume all those carbs to run my body doesn't burn the food that fast i eat protein but running is only going to build your legs up so much because you burn more muscle too by running and no weight training

According to the machines in the gym, biking burns way more calories than running does. If you want to gain weight, you should be weight lifting, not so much into cardio.

If you are trying to gain weight then you definitely shouldn't run long distance. The best way to build your legs is to do sprints, mountain bike, squats, lunges and stair climbing. I recommend that you mix it up a little in order to hit all of your leg and glute muscles and to keep yourself from getting bored with the same routine.

Back