in movement, the speedo also..? My car has been taking several times to start, the odd time it will start first time, but recently its been taking longer and more often, getting worse over a 2/3 week period. Its always been fine when running, up untill yesterday when in movement the car just lost all acceleration and slowed to a stop, after 2/3 goes of getting it to go again it finally started but yet again later all momentum when i had to slow down in 2nd. The speedo also has regular lapses of going down to 0 when travelling at 70 or 40.

The AA came out but soon as they came it started fine, and drove home fine as they followed, so they couldn't really see the problem, i took it to the garage and they kept it overnight to look at it today and claimed the "crankshaft" needed replacing? This cost £125?

He said the Speedo could possibly be related to the car not starting, all down to the crankshaft, however as i drove it home from the garage the Speedo went down to 0 again. He said it was a common fault in cars the crankshaft?

Anyway i've searched similar queries on here and not heard anyone mention this "crankshaft" so does it make sense? Has the car just started fine for him, and thought he'd invent the problem of a crankshaft? Has he fixed it and the Speedo is a totally different problem?

What else could be wrong with it or his explanation sound right?

Cheers