Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

How much did you about driving before you began learning?

Basically, i'm asking:
    What did you know about driving before you began to learn to drive, as in, how much did you know?
    Also, was it easy to learn?
    And finally, how long did it take you to pass? (as in first time, second time, third time, etc).

I'm about to begin my lessons soon and i don't know ANYTHING about ANYTHING. LOL

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was driving petrol tankers and heavy haulage loads when i was 14 years old,things are a lot different now and the vehicles so much easier to drive and control.In your case,you must swot up on the highway code and driving manoeuvres and be able to answer any question including braking distances,the actual controlling of the car and gear changing is only the start of the learning process,you never finish learning.Passing the test just allows you to go out unaccompanied,it does not indicate that you are a good driver ,far from it,it only indicates that you are as reasonably safe as they can make you without experience,there is no substitute for that.GOOD LUCK.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't worry thats what they are there for and paid to do - teach you.
    You'll be fine.. I havn't passed yet but I hear the average is to pass third time even though most of my friends passed first.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very good question - basically, you have to ask yourself why you want to drive, and does it mean more to you than just getting from A to B.
    A lot of young people - although mostly boys, me in my youth included, are very eager to drive, it's exciting, they like cars & want to buy own, look after them, etc, and for these people it's easier as they are doing something that they enjoy.
    The fact that you know nothing would imply that you fall into the other category of people who want a driving licence as purely a means of getting about - these people usually find it harder as they have no interest in how a car works, what happens when you press pedals & turn the wheel, etc., so I would advise learning a bit about how cars work, this should mean that you pick up driving more quickly, as you're more likely to understand what's happening as you drive.
    The amount of lessons & time to pass a test will also vary according to the above scenarios, a lot of people seem to thing that the acceptable norm is to have dozens of lessons, and then keep 'trying' your test - this is not the way to go. You are better off having a lesson a week, with plenty of practice in between, and applying for your test when you're confident that you have the knowledge to pass.

The practice aspect is huge: with regular driving experience, you should easily be ready for a test within 2 - 3 months of starting to drive, even with absolutely no prior knowledge. Personally, I think you get better value for money by either buying & insuring a car, or paying to add your name to a family member's insurance, than throwing the cash at dozens of lessons.
    Good luck.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very good question - basically, you have to ask yourself why you want to drive, and does it mean more to you than just getting from A to B.
    A lot of young people - although mostly boys, me in my youth included, are very eager to drive, it's exciting, they like cars & want to buy own, look after them, etc, and for these people it's easier as they are doing something that they enjoy.
    The fact that you know nothing would imply that you fall into the other category of people who want a driving licence as purely a means of getting about - these people usually find it harder as they have no interest in how a car works, what happens when you press pedals & turn the wheel, etc., so I would advise learning a bit about how cars work, this should mean that you pick up driving more quickly, as you're more likely to understand what's happening as you drive.
    The amount of lessons & time to pass a test will also vary according to the above scenarios, a lot of people seem to thing that the acceptable norm is to have dozens of lessons, and then keep 'trying' your test - this is not the way to go. You are better off having a lesson a week, with plenty of practice in between, and applying for your test when you're confident that you have the knowledge to pass.
    The practice aspect is huge: with regular driving experience, you should easily be ready for a test within 2 - 3 months of starting to drive, even with absolutely no prior knowledge. Personally, I think you get better value for money by either buying & insuring a car, or paying to add your name to a family member's insurance, than throwing the cash at dozens of lessons.
    Good luck.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was driving cars and lorries in the fields when I was 14 and riding motorcycle when I was 12 so it was pretty easy when I eventually got on the roads.
    I taught my wife and sons exactly the same way and always told them that if they could drive on mud they can drive on anything.
    All of them passed their car and motorcycle tests first time, however we are all lucky, not everybody has the land and opportunity to do this.

Good luck - try not to knock any motorcyclists over [they might be one of my family]

Downloads
    Uploads
    didnt know much when I started lessons , but after 12 lessons (which were hard at first , but its like every thing else - practice makes perfect) I took my test and passed first time

Dont be dishearted if you make mistakes - every one does - stick at it and in the end you will pass!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Its more expensive but make sure you get
    a reputable driving instructor to give you lessons
    you can waste a lot of time and money with some
    of the cowboys out there.

They are only interested in your money so they'll
    string you along for months of wasted lessons.

have a look here.. http://go-red.co.uk

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast