How much would it cost to fix a gas gauge on a Mazda Navajo?

Beautifulgirl

Apr 12, 2008
Last year a mechanic did work on my Mazda and they had to tow it because I had radiator problems. When I got home my gas gauge wasn't working. I didn't mind so much when gasoline was less than $3 a gallon last year. I would just fill it and then add gasoline every few days. But now with gasoline running about $4.28 a gallon it's just a little harder and I've been running out of gasoline! I put $15 in the tank and took two trips and ran out of gasoline and they weren't very long trips. Now I just put in $20 worth and not sure where that will take me. Should I ask the mechanic to fix it or see how much it would cost to repair? I feel he should have fixed it in the first place!

OK, the Mazda Navajo is a re-badged Ford Explorer. Usually the gas gauge stops working b/c the sending unit in the tank takes a dump. In this case, b/c it is such a sensitive area to work on, I would leave up to a Ford dealer or Mazda to fix. I know that it may be expensive to have a dealer work on it, but you must understand that they just about always guarantee their work. They know exactly what to do & use the only authorized Ford part for your vehicle.

I 'm thinking that when they towed your Mazda, the wire from the sensor in the gas tank got pulled off. After a year, the mechanic might not feel very responsible. Crawl around underneath and see if there is a loose wire you can just reconnect.

Back