dSLR. Is this a good buy: Canon Digital Rebel XSi 12MP Digital SLR Camera with

SarahC

May 18, 2008
EF-S 18-55mm f/3? I found this on Amazon. I'm not from US or Canada so I plan to have it shipped to my friend's address in Seattle. I'll pay though credit card. Is it a good idea to purchase online when I'm overseas? The same model here is twice the price. What's the reasonable amount to pay for the model above?

I'm also wary because I don't know much about cameras. I've read here that some cameras for sale online are scams, meaning not fully or truthfully advertised. I want a standard kit, for a nice enough camera, beginner entry level. Is the model below good?

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-Camera-18-55mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B0012YA85A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1220326232&sr=1-1

I'm still choosing between this or the Nikon D80. Is the D80 more expensive? It's so confusing!!! Thanks in advance for great tips. I really appreciate it. Who thought buying cameras will be this tough :). I just want to make sure I get the best one within my price range and for my needs.

Amazon is a good, legitimate site, I wouldn't worry about ordering through them. The Canon you are looking at is the newer version of my 10mpx Rebel XTi, which I absolutely love. I upgraded to my Canon after practicing with a Pentax SLR film camera. The Nikon D80 is a very nice camera, and would be an awesome starter - the only reason I liked it less than the Canon is b/c I have small hands and the Nikon just seemed huge when I held it. The 18-55 lens is a good starter, 55mm is standard for general photography. In order to get great pics, you'll want to read up about f-stops, aperture, shutter speed, and depth of field and really understand how they work in order to fully understand how to operate your camera.
I think you're looking at a pretty good deal on that Canon, and Amazon should be scam-free. I wouldn't order from a random company or a place like ebay for a camera - that's where you'll get had.
Canon and Nikon are both professional quality cameras - you'll love whichever one you get!!

Back