Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

dSLR. Is this a good buy: Canon Digital Rebel XSi 12MP Digital SLR Camera with

EF-S 18-55mm f/3? I found this on Amazon. I'm not from US or Canada so I plan to have it shipped to my friend's address in Seattle. I'll pay though credit card. Is it a good idea to purchase online when I'm overseas? The same model here is twice the price. What's the reasonable amount to pay for the model above?

I'm also wary because I don't know much about cameras. I've read here that some cameras for sale online are scams, meaning not fully or truthfully advertised. I want a standard kit, for a nice enough camera, beginner entry level. Is the model below good?

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-Camera-18-55mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B0012YA85A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1220326232&sr=1-1

I'm still choosing between this or the Nikon D80. Is the D80 more expensive? It's so confusing!!! Thanks in advance for great tips. I really appreciate it. Who thought buying cameras will be this tough . I just want to make sure I get the best one within my price range and for my needs.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Amazon is a good, legitimate site, I wouldn't worry about ordering through them. The Canon you are looking at is the newer version of my 10mpx Rebel XTi, which I absolutely love. I upgraded to my Canon after practicing with a Pentax SLR film camera. The Nikon D80 is a very nice camera, and would be an awesome starter - the only reason I liked it less than the Canon is b/c I have small hands and the Nikon just seemed huge when I held it. The 18-55 lens is a good starter, 55mm is standard for general photography. In order to get great pics, you'll want to read up about f-stops, aperture, shutter speed, and depth of field and really understand how they work in order to fully understand how to operate your camera.
    I think you're looking at a pretty good deal on that Canon, and Amazon should be scam-free. I wouldn't order from a random company or a place like ebay for a camera - that's where you'll get had.
    Canon and Nikon are both professional quality cameras - you'll love whichever one you get!!