My fiancé and I met online (through a common-interest forum, not a dating site), and though he lived on the west coast and me on the east coast, we kept our long distance relationship going for 3 years (with frequent week-long visits).

When he proposed, I agreed on the condition that he move here. I was not willing to take our relationship any further until I was sure we could be together.

Recently, he made the move from California to my hometown in Georgia, and shortly after announced that he would be asking me to marry him to his family.

Since he moved here, I've felt like his family has resented me for taking away their pride and joy. And while his parents have always been very gracious and kind to me, his extended family (with whom he is very, very close with) has been quite cold. They've said very hateful things about me and I've had the unfortunate opportunity to overhear these things more times than I care to remember (though they don't know). I've always taken it in stride, realizing that it must be hard to be away from your loved one. To his credit, my fiancé has tried his best to shield me from these awful comments and has lectured his family on their hurtful speech--but this has done nothing to stop them.

After our engagement, my fiancé sent out pictures to all his family along with a thoughtful note about our love and his proposal. Unbeknownst to his family (I suppose), I was included in on this email which became a party line of sorts. All of his relatives responded and conversed with one another--each response being sent to everyone on the list. Comments ranged from "she looks pregnant in that photo" to "the only reason he'd ever move there would be because she's pregnant." and many other hurtful things that my pride will not allow me to repeat. And for the record--I'm not pregnant.

How should I handle this?

Should I respond to them? Should I ignore them? Should I make my fiancé speak with them (though this has been very ineffective)?

I really don't want to burn any bridges or keep them out of our lives, but I can't help but feel hurt by these comments. Is this some kind of strange hazing/initiation practice among in-laws?

What is the most gracious and tactful way to deal with this assault on my character?