Hey. I'm 19 and getting my first bike here within the next couple of months. Have riden before and have experience but have not owned one, but I know how. I am also taking a motorcycle class to get more and more knowledge and go from there.

A lot of people I talk to who don't own one, say to not get one. Reason why: Crashes. Does this happen often or what? Because if I take to guys who own one or have ridden, they say it is completely safe as long as you don't act like an idiot on it. I would just like to know what you guys think and if it is really dangerous getting one and having it to get around. I already have a 72 Chevelle but that's turning into my track car here shortly and I love these bikes. Let me know, and everything I should look out for and whatnot. Hate hearing people telling me to not get one because that always puts me one step back on buying it to have. I'm not going to buy a new 1300 Hayabusa and top that out. Just a regular bike. I was thinking CBR600 or r6 or something around that. Has speed potentional, but nothing insane. Thanks all.