Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Running, i just recently started running; Neighbor does Sprint/walks?

My neighbor was telling me how he does what he calls sprint/walks. He walks for about a block, then full out sprints the next block, then walks the next, then full out sprints the next block.

Is he gaining anything by doing this, working any different muscles then just regular jogging?

Any Benefits?

Thanks
    Matt

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, he is gaining short distance speed whereas jogging the whole distance would help you work on your endurance.

If you're trying to loose weight or get in shape, I would suggest long slow runs. Sprinting/walking is best for people who have not yet built up their endurance or who are working on speed training for competition.

Also, he would be working on some different muscle groups than you (sprinting is different than jogging).

You're fine to continue what you are doing. If you feel like integrating some sprints into your workout, feel free. It's all up to what you want to do and your personal goals.

Unregistered

respectfully disagree

I would have to respectfully disagree with the reply. Running just six 30 second bursts and walking until recovery inbetween has been proven to have more cardiovascular and weightloss benefit than running a steady pace for 60 solid minutes. I'm a 20-year distance runner...but I always insert sprint sessions into my workouts. This gentleman likely is not just starting out...he is using good practice for a total running program.