Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Junior Member HalflingerTrainee's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

My dog whines constantly! How can I get her to stop?!?

My dog drives me and my mom insane. She whines every day. We let her outside for hours of time, let her on the couch and bed, play with her, and feed her, but we cut down her food cuz shes so fat. I don't know how to get her to stop! I've tried everything I know, distracting her, telling her no, ignoring her. Nothing works...I don't know what else to do..Help!
    She is not super fat or anything that far, she is just a bit over her weight nothing too serious. I don't think she has a problem or issue with her. I have a vet grandfather in my family and he says shes fine.

She is put on a long rope outside too atleast 3 times a day. She gets out and takes off every other day or maybe twice a weeks when we don't want her to do so >.< but she loves to chase cats, lizards, crows and plays with my other dog as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    get the dog whisperer on the discovery channel he is so good or just take the dog to a trainer!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Shock collar. Wonder how many thumb downs I'll get

Downloads
    Uploads
    Take her for a nice long walk - A tired dog is a good dog. It will help her lose some weight too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Try switching her to low-fat or calorie-reduced food instead of holding back on the food. If she is over-weight and used to eating lots, she's probably very hungry.

**** I have a better idea...give the dog to someone who will love it!

Downloads
    Uploads
    obviously something is wrong, you need to take your dog to the vet, before something bad happens, and its too late. she is fat?? that could be an inclination that you feed her too much and she isn't active enough, maybe she is constipated...get her checked out

Downloads
    Uploads
    Take her for a walk every day...it will help with the weight, plus put some structure in her life and burn off some energy. Also if you haven't already, take her to a vet. She might have something wrong with her that causes the whining.

You have talked about doing a lot of things...distracting, no, ignoring. Are you being consistent and patient? Dogs sometimes need a while to get the picture. If you ignore the whining...then ALWAYS ignore it. If you give her attention, then ignore, then say NO, then distract, she will get very, very confused and your training will not work. I would recommend ignore. As soon as she whines, turn your back, or better yet leave the room. Do not acknowledge her until she stops. Sometimes even negative reactions are still reactions to her...so don't react. Ignore. And be consistent.