What do you think the reason is for Muslims leaving their religion in droves?

trooper

Feb 24, 2008
Ahmad al-Qataani, leader of the Companions Lighthouse for the Science of Islamic Law, was quoted in an al-Jazeera interview; "Everyday, 16,000 Muslims convert to Christianity. Every year, 6 million Muslims convert to Christianity".

The reason must be very compelling in view of the fact that apostasy is punishable by death in Afghanistan, Comoros, Iran, Mauritania, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, and Yemen. It is also illegal in Jordan, Kuwait, Malaysia, the Maldives, Oman, and Qatar.

Assyrian international news agency news article reports about apostasy according to Islam, http://www.aina.org/news/20050202111020.htm
Why are Muslims evading the question? Please answer the substantive point of the question.
Al-Jazeera info, http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/muslims-leaving-islam-in-droves/
Also, the Muslims that are leaving their religion are the newly added ones. According to research by Dr. Ilyas Ba-Yunus[1], 75% of New Muslim Converts in the US leave Islam within a few years.

For starters I'd like to see what data Ahmad al-Qataani is collecting to make that assessment. It's easy to make a statement, quite another to back it up. Not saying he'd lie or have a reason to lie, but I'd still like to see the data.

But even if it is true, I think Muslims who leave Islam are doing so because their leaders are not teaching true Islam. While Islam teaches no compulsion in religion, Muslim leaders the world over are going against this fundamental teaching.

The countries that you mentioned are examples of what Islam should NOT be. If the only Islam I was ever taught was one that compels people and teaches to "destroy the west,", and the alternative was "beleive in Jesus and you're in heaven," - then it only makes sense that people would accept the latter religion. Especially if I had no formal education. Sadly, these Muslim countries you mentioned are also among the lowest in literacy in the world.

That being said, it doesn't make the latter teaching correct by any stretch. Furthermore, my point still stands, if those people are really leaving Islam, its not because Islam has flaws, but because the people practicing Islam are not practicing it properly.

Whatever the case, Islam is still the fastest growing religion in the world, undisputed. People can make excuses for "brith rates" etc, but they're unfounded and weak excuses. The truth is, Islam is growing faster than any religion, alhumdolillah.

love for all, hatred for none

Here is an interesting web site for your research and information.

http://www.wikiislam.com/wiki/Muslims_Leaving_Islam

Who said they were Muslims in Afghanistan, Comoros, Iran, Mauritania, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, and Yemen. It is also illegal in Jordan, Kuwait, Malaysia, the Maldives, Oman, and Qatar?

Interesting! I would say they found the truth, and it set them free!
Sort of counters the statement that Islam is supposed to be the fastest growing religion.........
Thanks for the information

The same thing has been observed amon fundamentalists who stress too hard, such as Amish, very hard-shelled baptist. People forget rules are made for people and not people for rules.

First -- The statistic is flawed.

One, it is flawed in number. Two, it ignores that every day, thousands of Christians convert to Islam.

Second -- Who cares?

If 5,999,999,999 people believed 2+2=5, and only 1 person believed 2+2=4, would the number of believers matter?

The truth is the truth regardless of how many people believe it, and neither Christianity nor Islam are it.

Back