How does Dani Filth scream so high?

He has a five octave range, but i think he uses whistle voice to do it, but he can get as high as a soprano and as low as a bass, he just has an awesome range

Actually, watch the "Her Ghost In The Fog" live video on youtube, watch when he does his high pitch scream, he ALWAYS has two hands on the mic. Theres a switch on the side of the mic that puts his vocal range up 1 or more octaves. Kinda cheating, but hes still amazing.

Actually, watch the "Her Ghost In The Fog" live video on youtube, watch when he does his high pitch scream, he ALWAYS has two hands on the mic. Theres a switch on the side of the mic that puts his vocal range up 1 or more octaves. Kinda cheating, but hes still amazing.

Wow you're right!! So now i don't have to worry about increasing my range, i'll just get a mic like that :p

I have a tenor range so i'll use it to get to bass and countertenor :p

A1 - F6

if thats the case then how do you explain cradles old music back when voice changers werent really common, and very expensive. and if youve looked into cradles early days, youll see that they're financial situation wasnt very good when it came to gear. hence why there guitars and quality of there demos was so cheap.

The thing with the button on the microphone is pure crap, sorry to say.

he doesnt use anithing in the mic, i'm a vocalist of a deathcore band sometimes i use those high screams , what i do is inhaling tighting ur throat inhaling all the air u can , the fastest u can ,thats how u make the "girly scream" , at the same time u open ur mouth , with a lower part of the thorat u make the grrrr sound , a guttural xD , aaaand!! , that 'll make a doubel voice sound whit a high pitch like danny does..thats how i do it , but i thing he exhales...and...i can't understand how he does it . _ . ,

he doesnt use anithing in the mic, i'm a vocalist of a deathcore band sometimes i use those high screams , what i do is inhaling tighting ur throat inhaling all the air u can , the fastest u can ,thats how u make the "girly scream" , at the same time u open ur mouth , with a lower part of the thorat u make the grrrr sound , a guttural xD , aaaand!! , that 'll make a doubel voice sound whit a high pitch like danny does..thats how i do it , but i thing he exhales...and...i can't understand how he does it . _ . ,

If he used inhale then 19 years of that would have surely shredded his vocal cords to pieces. You're heading for that fate. Dani is just naturally talented. I'm not too sure what his highest note is, or lowest, but I can tell you, it's definately that of a soprano! Even higher considering the average soprano can hit C6 as her highest note.

I'll take a guess of between G6-C7, lowest note on the other hand, could be as low as A1 or less, I'm not very certain on really low notes but I heard that C1 is the lowest you can hear and C7 is the highest you can hear without damaging your ears, so other than C7 it sounds plausible.

i use exhale screaming growling mid range and behemoth style in my songs, and dudes you realize Dani exhales all you have to do is look at his throat when he does them i do them exhale as well its not hard put it out of your mind... but if you need to learn watch covers of talented vocalists and practice and practice and test different techniques that simple im not helping someone learn this without work not with how many months i spent perfecting it...

my advice work really hard for it

He may have a 5 octave range, but I actually think He cannot go as low as a bass, The Low gritting sounds he makes in studios could possibly be him doing the gritting sound but Dropped a few octaves low, since he doesnt do them live and his growls arent that low.
He's probably a tenor and has very good transitioning from screaming to shrieking(In his whistle voice).

the fact is, dani is a very talented human being and we cannot take that away from him his been doing that for a decay or more and he is not inhaling look evrytime he do the scream he inhale first b4 letting the sound go he is the only metal vocalist i know who can do more variation of vocal sound and his lyrics is incomparable to other band he is a poet. the thing is, there is no trick or threat like you do in 30th of October is just pure talent.

well me thinks...

I'm not a pro, mostly back up vocals that suck anyway. I just think it's super fun to scream and wanna learn more (how i ended up here). But! one time doing the vocals to "Her Ghost in the Fog" I got a very good high scream (on accident) by leaving my adam's apple down low and tightening all of my vocal cords while leaving the top of my throat open (i think, maybe it was tightened too). As far as what i do kno tho, is that it was cleaner and better than when i just try to go higher than my range. Only did it once, don't have enough voice box control to figure out if that's correct or not. If i can gain more control over my screams tho and it works, then this thread will be among the first to know.

Summary: Keep throat open, adam's apple low(ish) and squeeze ALL FOUR (4) of your vocal cords (maybe, idk, i kinda think so but i'm not 100% convinced)

What do the singers think of what i'm saying?

Also, anyone who thinks there's a switch on the mic to raise him an octave doesn't listen to much cradle. forrealz, in alot of songs you can hear him sliding up to his high scream, like as if you could see it happening. i believe he grabs the mic with both hands to help put pressure in his chest. It very much looks like his throat is insanely tight and then he has to try as hard as he can to break his vocal cords apart.

how i believe dani filth does it

I believe (believe meaning not a shred of doubt in my mind) the way dani does it is this. When you try to do a high scream, your adams apple and stuff moves up into one of the highest positions it can go while you're doing a fry. Well, after you've gone as high as you can, and can get a fry to happen, start closing the front of your throat AND USE MORE AIR too. I don't mean your tonsils, i mean the front. When you scream (aka vocal fry) you take the vocal thing on the left and right, and move them to the middle so they can slap against each other. The only way to make a higher note is to make the opening smaller, and teh only way to do that is to start moving the front of your throat back. Think of if you could put your finger under your adam's apple (or female equivalent) and push it towards your back. like that. If you open your jaw more, it will push your throat closed tighter from the front side. Also, if you understand exactly what it looks like when you do a fry, then think about making the circle that is your throat into an oval. If there's any confusion still, just open your mouth far until you can feel it pushing your throat closed more.

Back