Have you heard how the Dem's took a 5 week vacation and left the Rep's standing in...

cheryl

Jun 4, 2008
...the dark? Speaker Pelosi Turns The Lights Off On Energy Debate
With gas prices hovering around $4, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi moved into action this week. But rather than address energy issues, leadership in the House put forward a motion to adjourn the House until September without debating on or voting on America’s current energy crisis. I voted against this adjournment resolution, but unfortunately the vote passed 213-212.

So Friday morning, when the House adjourned, several members of Congress stayed on the floor, hoping to give speeches to the American people about the fact that leadership in this Congress packed its bags and headed off for a five week vacation. Before we could begin speaking, Speaker Pelosi had the lights turned off in the House chamber and forced CSPAN to turn off its cameras.

I and many of my colleagues stayed down on the House floor, giving speeches in the dark calling for a vote on increasing energy production. It is unconscionable that Speaker Pelosi would choose vacation over having a debate on energy policy, especially when there are signs that members of Congress, on both sides of the aisle, are coming together to work on real energy solutions.

On Wednesday, a bi-partisan group of legislators unveiled a new energy plan that would lift most restrictions on offshore drilling and encourage the development of alternative energy sources. This is a strong attempt to break through partisanship and work on a comprehensive energy plan.

Yet, Speaker Pelosi and other leaders in Congress are unwilling to stick around. I believe President Bush should call a special session of Congress and force Speaker Pelosi to address gas prices. According to Article II, Section 3 of the United States Constitution, the President has the power “on extraordinary occasions” to convene the Congress.

High gas prices demand action, and right now the American people are being let down by Congressional leadership. We need to put all energy options on the table. More drilling, more alternatives, more conservation…this Congress needs to get serious and work on a comprehensive plan that includes all of the above and ends our dependence on Middle East oil.

Over the next few weeks, I will be carrying five gallon gasoline cans around south-central Michigan to collect gas receipts from my constituents to send to Speaker Pelosi. You can also submit a personal note to the Speaker for me to deliver. You can mail your gas receipts to my Jackson Office at 800 West Ganson Street; Jackson, MI 49202, and I will make sure they are delivered to the Speaker to demonstrate the cost of the inaction of Congress.

This was sent to me in an email, yet doesn't seem to be news.

http://walberg.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=96796
John Boehner R-Ohio
http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecrypt/0808/House_Dems_turn_out_out_the_light_but_GOP_keep_talking.html?showall

I hail and encourage House Republicans to continue this historic effort going. The continued congressional inaction on gas prices are unacceptable to the American people.

The oil business is relatively young, just over a hundred years old. We have therefore a century of experience, market-based experience, with the concept of oil being the foundational building block of all energy, which has led to the most prosperous and the most free collection of human beings in one country ever in the history of the world. The invention of the internal combustion engine and the discovery that oil, refined, would fuel it, has led to more than we can comprehend.

Pelosi and the Democrats are pushing conservation like "Inflating your Tires. These people talk like they know more then everybody else about our energy needs. If you had a tire gauge, we wouldn't need oil!

Well, overinflating your tires, if they think that you can put a lot of air in it, people will be putting too much air in it, and the tires wear out in the center more because of the overinflation. Now, a tire averages about eight quarts of oil per tire, and if you're wearing your tires out faster, you will be putting tires on sooner. Overinflated tires could lead to even more use of oil.....

Please support the House Republicans.. And every Republican in your district....

If that were really the case they'd have passed a bill regarding the commodities market. It's simply grandstanding at its best.

Back