Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Whats with the smart car and other "high" MPG new cars?

I ask this because I just read the story on the Yahoo headlines about the Smart Fourtwo and how its so great that it gets 33/41 MPG and I have read about hybrid cars and their MPG too and I just have to ask this question...

In 1997 I bought a 1990 Geo Metro Convertible for under $2000 at a dealership. The car was perfect and I never had one single problem with it. I drove it on two cross country trips as well as year round in New England and it averaged well over 40 MPG. Long distances on the highway- much better even. I just checked a news release from back in the day and this is what it said: "PERFORMANCE: * 0-60 m.p.h. (as tested, with 5-speed manual) 16.2 seconds. * Top speed, estimated 90 m.p.h. * Fuel economy, EPA city-highway, 40 and 46 m.p.g." ( http://www.latimes.com/classified/automotive/highway1/la-hyw-geometro1990,0,2284994,full.story ) One summer when gas was .99 a gallon I drove the thing from Maine to Kentucky (1075 miles) on TWENTY DOLLARS. Thats 54 MPG !!!

So I guess I just don't understand WHY someone could make a car like this almost 20 years ago, but nothing for sale right now beats it in fuel economy?

And yeah- I regret ever selling it...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lots of cars in the 90s could get mileage like your Metro. Every car company made one.

The reason nobody does anymore is pretty simple. People demand performance, safety, and decent comfort. Not one of those cars would come close to passing modern emissions or crash standards. 0-60 in 8 seconds is considered slow now. Your car didn't come with many of the comforts people want. All that safety, comfort, and emissions stuff adds weight. So you need to add power just to go the same speed but people want to go faster so you need to add more power still. All that hurts your mileage.