What to do when another manager (not your boss but still above you) screams

Parker

Jul 29, 2008
at you and is generally evil? I work for a major national organization in one of its most highly respected divisions. I report directly to the director. One manager used to have my job, and loves to give me tips about the work, almost to the point of being extremely bossy with me, and to the point of trying to be my boss, who is his boss! When I inherited one of his projects in a transfer, (which involved weird logistical requirements which I think now in hidsight were his own stupidity), he did give me advice as he had run it for the three previous years. The project turned out extremely well, extremely profitable And I thought all was good until I came back into the office this week and she called me at eight am monday morning screaming at me about emailing something for a project not due for a week. I understand the request, but I had not done anything to provoke this. I heard from other coworkers that he had been this way with everyone for the week prior out in the field. What will he do next?

Yeah last week one of the managers at my workplace got fired for insulting/screaming at another girl.

Take the professional "kiss my a$$" route. When your predecessor delivers unsolicited instruction or advise, simply state in a very polite and professional manner, " That might just work! Thanks for the advice." Or " I'll certainly consider that, since your other idea was wonderful." Something along those lines. You have to send the message that you are running the show now, but in a irreproachable, tacit manner. If ANYONE in a business setting screams at you, it is YOUR JOB to put the conversation to a halt and address it. Don't interrupt;Let them finish there first sentence; Then reply with a lighthearted but firm " Okay, before we discuss this, your tone (manner) is very offensive ( stress the "very")and in order for this to be a productive and respectful discussion, I'll need you to lower your voice ( or calm down, etc)". I've had to do this before and it always worked. Never retaliate with your own attitude or defense. The offending parties have 100% of the time calmed down and actually apologized, (70% of the time). Never meet fire with fire. Be the water that washes away their arrogant rant and refreshes them with your professionalism. It will do wonders for your career, and word will get out that you won't take any Sht from anyone! lol

I suggest speaking to your real boss, or human resources manager, if you have one, about your co-workers' abusive behaviour. You may have to file a suit against him if no action is taken by your company. No one should have to put up with bullying in the workplace. Good luck to you.

Send an ann. note to the HR department explaining that this manager has been degrading and screams at those below you.

Back