If a man in a traditional marriage becomes sick and is no longer to able to

LaLa

May 14, 2008
hold up his end of the bargain? Is she supposed to leave and find another husband who can support her? I mean, do they suddenly become an untraditional couple or does she stay traditional and he becomes the ex, how does it work?
Cherise- Good point. Yes it does, but I have heard more then a few misogynist/antifems on here talking about marriage being a business deal, one in which he provides money and she provides home making. I myself never have viewed it as business deal so I agree with you.
signman, I completely agree with you 100%. Your a sweetheart.

Are you serious or is your goal to become a trophy wife?
In a traditional marriage, the promise is 'till death do us part'...once married, two people become a COUPLE and it is a fifty fifty relationship...there is no 'his end of the bargain' to hold up...it is up to BOTH people in the relationship to honor and take care of the other partner.
By YOUR interpretation...if 'he' is supposed to stay healthy and provide for the basic needs of support, then if SHE gets sick, or even pregnant, and cannot support 'her end' of the bargain-then your husband has the right to find someone else to have sex with? It goes both ways...if you say she should leave him because he can't provide her support-then he gets to leave her, right?
Wrong!

That's what things like Aflac , savings , 401 ks and disability inurance are for.

And there is always the """""Unthinkable"""""" she could get a job .

Since there are as many definitions of 'traditional' as there are of 'feminism' ...I guess there would be many answers to this as well.

Personally I think if you can afford it one person should stay home with the kids. That person should be the one with the least likely career prospects. The one who makes and will make the least amount of money.

I am a traditional woman and part of my belief is that we complement each others weaknesses and strengths. If my husband were to become ill, I would become the one who is better suited to fulfill the tasks and roles he previously performed. I have made it a point to acquire the skills necessary to maintain financial stability AND care for my family. Whatever I don't know, I will learn quickly. It's not a big deal, it's what a person does for someone they love and are committed to.

Back