Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dodge Stratus - Manual Transmission - Where do I check fluid?

I own a 1999 Dodge Stratus, 5 speed manual. I need to check the transmission fluid. I found the normal stuff (auto steering, brake, oil), but cannot locate the transmission fluid. I am hoping that a simply problem is causing the car to (shifter) to pop out of 3rd and 5th. It stays in and runs well when I hold it in.

Downloads
    Uploads
    there should be a dipstick in the back of the motor close to the windsheild and placed low. you will have to reach around the engine to see it so make sure you dont check for it right after using the car because you will burn yourself.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Manual transmissions rarely use a dipstick. There is a filler plug on the side of the transaxle. Normally the correct fluid level is to the bottom of the plug opening so you just pump in the correct gear oil until it starts to flow out and let it drip until it stops and then replace the plug. Your owner's manual should explain where the plug is and show the proper level.

Your problem is probably not related to fluid level, but excessive wear inside the tranny. Low fluid can cause the wear but a fix is going to involve a complete teardown of the transaxle. Given the age of the vehicle, a junkyard replacement may be the best option in your case. A rebuild will cost more than the car is worth at this point.

Downloads
    Uploads
    on most manual transmissions you have a set of plugs on the trans. housing one about half way up and one very low the higher of these is the fill plug . lay under the car find the higher of these remove it and put your finger in the hole if you touch fluid your fine if you don't you need to add some either gear oil or trans fluid check your book.