Is this selfish of my MIL?

Jadeknows

Jul 27, 2008
My sister in law(mils daughter) and I have kids that are both 2.5. Her daughter has ALWAYS bullied my son (biting to the point of scars, hitting, etc). My hubby and I have both talked to her about it, but it doesn't seem to matter, it keeps happening. So we are at the point where she is not going to be allowed in our home anymore if she can't keep her child under control. Since I have the boy, I feel very strongly that he should not be physical with girls period, except for self defense. We have tried letting him "fight back" but it didn't deter her in any way.
So, my hubby told his mom what our plans are (telling his sis ter that she wont be welcome in our home until she can get her child under control) and his mom broke into tears and guilt tripped him about how that just "kills her" that her kids wont be close.
Now, my hubby is second guessing our decision. I think if she wanted what is best for her grandkids she would understand and not make it about her feelings.
Also, this bullying happens EVERY time they are together which is about once (or more) a week.
Is my mil being selfish or are we overreacting.
We want what is best for our son, and we view this as abuse. If it were a friend or neighbor, we would have cut ties a LONG time ago. Thank you all so much for answering!

Back