How do I learn to exhale scream and do pig squeals? Serious answers only, please?

Eli

May 20, 2008
I want to learn how, but I don't know where to start. I Really want to be in a band and be able to scream and sound good doing so lol. I already know how to sing but I don't know what to do about the screaming. Any tips?

Thanks.

Ok, basically you need to choose a screaming style, whether its inhale or exhale, each comes with its pros and cons.
Inhale is easy, and good for low grunts and low pig squeals. But it is almost always going to affect your lungs in a negative way.
Exhale is hard at the start, and needs constant training, its good for everything. But you need to use your false vocal cords to scream.

Either of these techniques require the utilization of your diaphragm. Which you probably knew as a singer. Screaming isn't much different than singing. But it requires entirely new fundamentals to perfect(just like singing)
You can find some helpful advice on youtube.
But dont take just one person's word on it, people are inaccurate when describing how to do it and it could make you confused. Also, check out Melissa Cross's "Zen of Screaming 1 and 2 DVDs" But be advised that these are only tips to improve your screaming technique, not how to do them. I would go into other types of screams but you will get confused so i'll leave it at that. Good Luck Screaming!!

pig squeling and inhaling isnt hard, try like. making and O with your lips, and shove your chin out, then inhale, but close your throat, not letting any air into your lungs, then touch your toungue to the roof of your mouth and let enough air through to make the squeel. then just move your jaw and lips around to change the pitch. for inhale screaming start off the same, and while doing the pig squeal, open your mouth wide and it should come naturally

Hey.

The way i started out was by exhaling, it sounds awful at first and always start off quietly you dont want to stress your vocal chords, just keep practising and do vocal warm ups, vocal warm ups might make you feel stupid but they really work, try talking like marge simpson for a wile, tht will loosen your vocal chords, the whole aspect of screaming is loosening your vocal chords, but dont stress them if you start couging or it hurts wile your screaming and after, your doing it wrong find a way to do it that is comfortable for you and work on getting it to flow more and to sound a bit louder, also just before you scream breath in to your stomach not your chest, when you breath in through your stomach it raises the diafram and lets a more clean sounding screm come out without all the "gritty" noise get to it that you would expect to hear from not breathing from your stomach, so when you breath in make sure you push your stomach out.

Hope it helps, its kinda hard to explain to people how to scream.

Take a breath and scream your heart out!

check out my band. MySpace.com - HER BLACKENED ENTRAILS (CHECK NEW MERCH!) - Leicester, UK - Metal - www.myspace.com/herblackenedentrails

cheers.

exhale vs inhale

i've been inhaleing for just under a year and i'm in a trancemetal / metalcore band. inhale i must admit is easier but if you want a cleaner sound try exhale, it sounds weird at first but i can now do that also. Most metalcore bands such as Bring me the horizon exhale and sounds amazing so if you want metalcore vocals please exhale. to exhale you must try tense your belly like your having a big S**T but dont tense to hard you may pass out. Just be carefull not to over do it, remember its just distortion on the voice not a loud yell and that you gota sound like you... but dont be afraid to experiement to find your own sound. Inhale vocals may at times hurt your chest but will sound good. Inhale is basicly breathing in but not at the same rate so you don't take as much air to your lungs. alot of inhale is using vocal cords and just tightening them. when inhaleing your chest will push in slightly so dont find it weird lol. hopefully this helps :)

i have been exhaleing for about 5months and I have been in 9 differnt bands i Know<br>becuase they all fall apart<br>if u h=want to exhale got ot youtub look up addvise on it<br>drink water and practise everyday to a easy song<br>nmaek sure u pronouce your words and not yoohhuuuhoyoohh<br>becuase u will sound like shite:)

Try this :)

Im in a band, and i exhale, i think i sound pretty good, im only 13, but i sound great, i think, sometimes you have to be a natural born screamer, my voice doesnt hurt after a scream :)
what i do is---

1.i do the oooohhhhhh YEAH! from the beginning from psychosocial from slipknot
2.I start to say random things
3.once my voice gets used to it i can scream for a very long time
4.Record, although it does take time to get the screams perfect xD
5.Get a bunch of air before you scream, like breathing exercises
6.DRINK WATER EVERY ONCE OF A WHILE!!
7.Scream the way you like, im not telling you how you feel when you scream, just tips

Thats about it, good luck!

Plz watch my video on youtube!!
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnB1NuTBDiI]YouTube - Reborn Eternity Phycosocial Cover Preveiw[/ame]

hepz

ily thanks for all the help mate
you have no idea how long ive been trying to find out
you have totally made me understand it now

thanx i have really been trying. i can kinda of exhale but it hurts when i inhale should i keep inhaling screamng.

inhale exhale screaming!

10-10-2008, 10:03 PM #3 (permalink)
Unregistered

Level: -INF []

pig squeling and inhaling isnt hard, try like. making and O with your lips, and shove your chin out, then inhale, but close your throat, not letting any air into your lungs, then touch your toungue to the roof of your mouth and let enough air through to make the squeel. then just move your jaw and lips around to change the pitch. for inhale screaming start off the same, and while doing the pig squeal, open your mouth wide and it should come naturally
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------this guy is totally right

thats the way i learned inhale screaming by watching a vid on youtube, i first learned how to squeal isntead doing high pitchs or lows!

now im leanring to exhale, i can exhale, i have 2 weeks doing it but at first i hurt my throat, so by now the pain is lower i think if i continue practicing it wont hurt anymore. some deathcore vocal told me that he hurt a lot at first but he got used to the pain, can peaople do that?

if u wanna contact me follow this link.

MySpace - MurdokCORE!! - 20 - Male - salina "Baches", MX - myspace.com/murdokcore

thanx!!!

Find a new way to inhale, make sure you start sketchy scene kiddish. Like just that normal starting "Bree" or "Wee" sound. Then find out how to go deeper and more of your style. My style is extra crackly like Waking the Cadaver.

For Exhale. Honestly i think you just gotta put your feelings into it. I started of barking at other dogs on the streeet with freinds and trying to compare. The bigger dogs for deeper sounds, and the smaller dogs for higher sounds, i shaped my self from there.

hey there man,i find a good way to figure out how to scream is to listen to bands like white chapel and parkway drive not bands that use nothing but effects to emphasise their screams(e.g. bring me the horizon) ,listen to their older shit coz thts easier to scream along to,just keep trying till you sorta sound like them,thn force it a lil,not too much otherwise yall fuk yaself,ive been doing it fer a few month now,and i can growl like dispised icon and do highs like newer enter shikari stuff,just experiment and see what feels "right" for you man (Y)
hope this helps
listen to,parkway drive,whitechapel,impending doom,born of osiris and cryptopsy(Y),theyre all good bands with a range of vocal ability,if you like them move onto annotations of an autopsy and dispised icon(Y)

aef

Well, to me, i can do a pretty amazing inhale, and i can exhale decently, but exhaling is much different for me. i like the scratchy sound of my inhales, but my exhales is for like super low voices. Inhaling is the best to me. my favorite inhale break down is in the song "As my fears become phobias" by as blood runs black, fastfoward to like 3:25 and check out the singing/ its a brutal inhale.

I've been trying to learn to exhale for two years. While taking some deep breaths to catch up with myself while trying to learn, I was saying bree and broke into an inhale scream. Since then I've been able to hit lower gutterals than Ronnie on The Guillotine, and higher than Suicide Silence in Bludgeoned to Death.

I still haven't learn to exhale. If you're inhaling and it hurts, you're doing it wrong, and should probably stop. I'm trying to learn to exhale because nobody will sign your band if you inhale.

Tighten your throat and say bree while breathing in... You'll get it, and the people I tell that to get it in a few seconds.

If you guys have any serious tips on how to exhale, e-mail me at [email protected] . I have no fucking clue on how, and it's all really hard to grasp. How do I get the sound to go from my diaphragm out of my body? I can hit something that sounds like a weak ass fakie, but that really hurts.

i scream using my throat and it hurts after like 30 mins and the morning after i scream my throat hurts like a BITCH for awhile. but i can growl and do high screams and my friends say i sound exactly like mitch lucker from suicide silence and oli skyes from bring me the horizon. drink a lot of warm water, and warm up. it will take awhile but it will get better, tho i am trying to scream using my diaphragm and it isnt working so well. melissa cross's vid is great, use it

Exhaleing

Lol... I Exhale... ive been exhailing for 14 months and what i did was put a pencil in between my teeth and imagine the pitch of words going under and over ... so i would lay on my back so there is pressure on the diaphram take a deep breath and kind of tense your stomach like flex your stomach... not hard like were u start swetting and shit. Then kinda experement with your voice do lows highs what ever the fuck you kids like... just practice practice practice and when you've started inhaleing its really hard to turn it around to exhaling because Inhailing tightens.. and exhale loosens..

Screaming

Hmmm. I have been inhailing for about a year maybe?? Inhailing is a lot easier than exhale screaming but doesn't sound as good =(. Everyone says that inhail has terrible affects on you and me personally, i haven't had any.. yet lol. For me, exhail is just impossible. I believe i am doing something wrong with exhale though. All i know is that at the start of inhale your screams will be very high pitched and it takes a little practice. Try screaming to some The Devil Wears Prada, UnderOATH, or Bullet For My Valentine. There other bands out there that are easy to scream to and personaly, as a beginner I would prefer UnderOATH

your band wont get signed if it inhales? wtf is up with it then? a day to remember and enter shikari both inhale. look how far they have got :p i need help with my exhales though, i have a beasty inhale but its almost impossible to exhale please help.. email me - [email protected]

dude

if ur inhaling and it starts to hurt STOP!!!!! u will fucking kill ur throught and mess up ur vocal chords if u know how to exhale then i would stick with that cuz if u have a kick ass singing voice then exhale screaming will most likely not fuck it up.... so yeah, if you watch youtube vids that explainn how to do that they will usually say something like if ur inhaling and its hurts stop.... i also wanna learn how to exhale scream..... ive been looking at the vids and practicing..... lol i still suck at it XP

Back