Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Unregistered
    I find it interesting that everyone has said that Edward seems like an abusive spouse, yet somebody actually found Jacob to be a better option...considering Jacob tried (and succeeded in) emotionally blackmailing Bella in Eclipse. I personally love these books, although it is concerning and scary when you see people who pretend Edward isn't fictional...that's taking it to the extreme. The thing that I find the most amusing about the original post is that the poster's main problem with Twilight is that it's all about a girl wanting a guy and then she says we should read classic literature like Pride and Prejudice...have you even read that? It is ALL about women trying to snag men, not just that, but men with money preferably. At least Bella's attraction to Edward isn't because he's rich. I will admit that their relationship is unlikely but literature is full of relationships like theirs from Jane Austen to the Grimm Brothers, ones full of love at first site based on nothing but their love for each other.

I can't make you like this book, you can't make me like it. Personally I prefer Stephenie Meyer's "vegetarian" vampires to Anne Rice's ambiguously bisexual vampires but it really comes down to personal preference. To each their own.

Unregistered
    I've read Twilight. Twice. Once because there's been a ridiculous amount of hooplah around it and again because after loathing it the first time I wa convinced I just wasn't "reading it right".

Trust me, second time around, it's still horrible.

Ms. Meyer writes the way I did when I was twelve years old, doodling in my journal. Bella is a Mary Sue, obviously. Look at Stephanie Meyer and read the description of Bella. Meyer obviously had the thought that, "Well, I want her to be perfect but someone will notice, so I'm just gonna make her clumsy to cover it up, tee-hee." And her claiming that she's never been to a writing workshop or read any original vampire novels is hardly surprising. Sticking to the "basics" of vampires is not even neccessary in a novel, but she makes it abundantly clear that she's never even turned the pages in one of Anne Rice's books. She needs to pick up Interview with a Vampire, 'Salem's Lot, and Dracula. She then needs to commit them to memory. Twilight had no soul, no pain. It was like chewing on cardboard. In Interview with a Vampire I found myself nearly crying at each character's agony- all THREE or FOUR of them. That's all it took. But it Twilight, Meyer gives off the impression that she doesn't understand that quality is better than quantity. A 400 plus pages does not a novel make. The Great Gatsby was like. What. 100-some pages? It wasn't a freaking weight.

People above me keep bringing up how the characters were "perfect" and, I hate to sound redundant, but I completely agree. Edward may be some sort of anti-human whatever, but he's STILL A MAN. Sleeping in Bellas bed and not even having a THOUGHT? Dear LORD, every man in that book was a freaking woman with a penis! Oh, except for in whatever the last book was where he decides he's gonna make a move in that field of whatever. (I didn't read the book, I got a brief synopsis from a friend.) The only time he acts like a MAN is at a completely innapropriate time. It was like Meyer sat down, stopped, and said, "Wait! Holy crap, this guy has balls! Better compensate!"

What I think is that Meyer is not only is living in a fantasy world, but she just got lucky. Every dog has his day, I suppose and she just happened to have hers at the decline of the Harry Potter books. This book wouldn't bother me so much if they weren't so popular, let alone taught in English classes like one person mentioned. And why are we teaching the absolutely ugly, mundane, Twilight and not the beautifully written Vampire Chronicals?

Oh, because the vampires are bisexual. Yes, let's read about 2-Dimensional damsel-in-distress Mary Sue bitches because we don't wanna offend some child's young, innocent heart. Because we all know there isn't sexuality and flaw in the real world. No way.

I'm sure Stephanie Meyer isn't a bad person, but she can still suck my metaphorical dick.

Unregistered

Twilight

I will say I did Love the books but, I wasn't crazy like my friends. They get so annoying. Like one has to write EC everywhere on her notebook, the sidewalk, trees, on shirts, pants, and on her arm. I hate the book because on what it does to people. OTher then That I love it. The only real reason I love it Is because of Jacob Black, He is the only person in the book that CAN be real. Bella is a fucked up bitch. When she is with Edward she is all over him and when she is with Jacob she is all over him! It annoys the shit out of me. They both love her and she plays with them like toys...Edward is pretty Bad to. Can't wait for the last book so I can find out If the bitch dies...I hope she does.

Unregistered
    I thought the series already ended and Mayer was just making another version of it from Edward's point of view (which is so pathetic since any good writer would be able to convey his emotions in ONE book series).

Unregistered
    I am a devoted twilight-hater. Personally, I think that the whole series is an abomination to humanity and it should be burned on a bonfire along with the insane fan girls who can't tell fictional characters from real people. Yes, that's right, Edward Cullen doesn't really exist. Build a bridge and get over it. It is basically just the drivel of a juvenile, so called 'writer' tacked onto a front cover with many, awful sequels. The characters, if you can call them that, resemble the piece of cardboard that I used for my Art project (which if you've seen that you would gasp); they are shallow and complete idiots. How do you have scorching eyes? I really need to know how to do that. Bella is a monstrosity, her only flaw is her clumsiness which only happens when Edward can rescue her in a whirl of lovey-dovey crap. Meanwhile he only seems to like her for her smell, which is kind of creepy if you ask me. And watching someone while they asleep? This strikes way too much of some pscyho-stalker, oh my god maybe we've finally found Edward's flaw. But I mean why does this book get so much hype? The hype probably pisses me off more than the crap that Meyer tries to instil her books that we shouldn't have sex before marriage. No offence intended. Since when did she become the Pope? Frankly the view of the world that Meyer portrays in her books is way too simplistic. What kind of message are we sending to teenage girls who identify with Bella? That we should give up all our hobbies, goals, friends and family (did she even have any goals? I couldn't work that out, she seemed like a useless blob to me)? New Moon disgusted me in particular: fine her boyfriend left, it's not like is world is blowing up, according to the book Bella already has a long line of guys drooling after her: problem solved. Just choose one of them and use them for your twisted ways like you used Jacob. He actually was the only character that wasn't half bad because he wasn't a total dimwit and had something in his head which might have even passed for a brain. Furthermore the fact that Bella seems to be so disregarding of humans just depresses me. Fine we're human, you don't have to be a vampire to be interesting. It would have been much better if Jacob and Edward discovered they were gay: no sequels, no whiny Bella. Amen to that.

Unregistered
    umm how old are you?
    you cant even spell fantasy!!

Unregistered
    "umm how old are you?
    you cant even spell fantasy!!"
    In response to that:how old are you? You can't haven't discovered the caps lock key.

Unregistered
    I will write this post civilly. Twilight is not a well-written book.

Just face it, Twilight-lovers. The writing quality is not good at all. I read it twice (as some others noted: once because my friends were raving about it, and a second time because I couldn't believe such a popular book could be so bad and I was convinced I was reading it badly) and I could feel my brains turning to mush and leaking out of my ears as I was reading it.

And I AM a teenage girl, but fortunately, I have read enough classics and developed a fairly good sense of what quality writing is, to recognize that Twilight is a highly repetitive, often uncreative story about a selfish, pitifully clumsy girl and a perfect, vampire being who fall in love. There is basically no story after that. Just Edward rescuing Bella numerous times.

And what ever happened to falling in love? Was that completely skipped over? It seems as if they each knew they were in love without the actual stages of awkwardness, shyness and sweet moments that make reading about people falling in love actually enjoyable and pleasurable.

As an unregistered member above me said, "It was like chewing on cardboard." Indeed it was. Untouched by reality, imperfection and human-like reactions, it is stuffed full of flawless people, repetitive scenes and descriptions and plain non creativity when it comes to vampire lore.

My other problem is Bella. It is NOT because I am 'in love' with Edward Cullen (His description is actually FAR from 'my type') because I most certainly am not. It is because I find her so totally selfish and stubborn. Her sarcasm is sickeningly overused and she comes off as a smart-alec almost immediately. This may just be my personal opinion, but I'd like to read a book for once where the protagonist is kind and has good morals (apparently having morals has gone out of style...it is evident in Bella's lust of Edward in Eclipse-I wish she had more self-control).

Well, I have better things to do than bash about a bad book. See you.

Unregistered

Coffeebean

Im so sick of hearing about twilight. I read the first book with my YOUNGER sister's warning that the entire plot revolved around 'how beautiful and perfect Edward is'.

I agree that it is directed at tween/young teen audiences. However, the amount of adults that drool over this book is disgusting. I was in the movie theater the other evening to see Sex and the City and a Twilight movie trailer came on. Girls squealed. Seriously??? The viewing of sex and the city was restricted to people 17 and older. (R rated) Why were people squealing??? It makes me sad. ... and angry

On top of that it makes me sick to imagine what kind of image this is putting in young girls' heads. Let a MAN COMPLETE YOU?? CHANGE yourself??? Don't plan for the future??? Its absolutely disgraceful.

Unregistered
    a 100 year old zombie vampire falls in love with a minor because he likes the way she smells

but its ok becuase hes hot
    definitely true love

when i read this^^ it made me laugh a lot

Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast