Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Unregistered
    Ok, so I really agree. A bunch of people in my english class go on and on about it, so I decided to give it a try. When I did read it, I actually kind of liked it, but there were some things that really bugged me. First of all, there is no substance to these characters. The "glue" in Edward and Bellas relationship is that Edward is hot and is at the same time very dangerous. Me and my friend were talking about this, and we decided that if Edward didn't look the way he did, their relationship would fall apart. There is nothing in these books that suggests that they like each other for who the person actually is, its just superficial stuff.
    Also, these books are very predictable. I won't give anything away, but I could always tell what was going to happen before it actually happened, which is not very appealing to me in a book.
    I agree that there is so much more literature out there that need attention. If someone really needs a teen novel fix, just go for Harry Potter. Those books contain real life situations (I mean the choice between right and wrong/easy) with characters who are actually like people. They have very human feelings and experiences that make them who they are. If you need a romantic fix, thats in Harry Potter too. All of the conflicts are relatable to pretty much any teen out there.

All of this said, I feel that the twilight books are not great, that there is so much more out there that is so much better. I guess if you do really like them, enjoy them, but don't go crazy on people if they have a different opinion. Everyone has their own opinion, and those must be recognized and respected.

Unregistered
    And I thought I was the only person who does not like this book. The main character, Bella, is boring and has no personality, ambitions, hobbies, goals, no FUTURE. Her life revolves around Edward, a man who's not only secretly a vampire, but also secretly manipulative, controlling, and emotionally abusive. The same words are used repeatedly to describe Edward's 'perfect' body, Bella's noisy truck, Forks's rainy weather, et cetera, continuously. There is a difference between repeating something for emphasis, and repeating something only because the main character has an empty, shallow mind. There are so many minor characters who are so completely unnecessary to the plot. Trust me, once you start reading the story, you'll get all of Bella's classmates mixed up with each other. You won't be able to differentiate one from the other unless you go back and read it over again. By the way, these vampires sparkle...for no reason. The author, Meyer, did not put any effort into explaining certain aspects of this novel. And she didn't do any research either on the lore of vampires. As a matter of fact, she has admitted to never having read ANY kind of vampire books. 'Vampires' is definitely a misnomer for these creatures she has created. I only recommend this book to teenagers who want to read magazine-level type books where you don't have to think hard while you're reading and to those people who like gushing over cute 'romantic' scenes.

Stephenie Meyers' books, while better than most teen fiction, doesn't live up to the hype. There's something insanely unbelievable about the romance between Bella and Edward in fact, it's at times more strikingly false than the fantasy world the characters inhabit. On top of that, characters compare themselves to classic heroes and lovers instead of leaving it to the reader to do so, a thing I find pretentious and hurtful to the reading experience.

If Meyer has talent, it certainly doesn't show through in the Twilight series. The plotline is agonizingly cliché and the characters are simple and dramatized to a point where I could hardly stand it. I mean, come on. Everyone in the story is perfect! The girl's only real flaw is her clumsiness, and Meyer merely uses that to create some warped “protect the princess” garbage with Edward. And Edward literally has no flaws whatsoever. Where is the interesting characters? Where are the twists and turns? Please, there are so many better vampire books out there than Twilight.

Unregistered
    Okay, confession time...a couple months ago, I liked Twilight. I thought it was romantic and that Edward was a real VILF (DON'T SHOOT!).

But when I couldn't find New Moon at my library, I went looking for different stories on Vampires. I found Interview with the Vampire and found out what a good book on Vampires should be like - brutal, yet ultimately beautiful. I felt like I was right there with them, I felt Louis's guilt after killing, felt Claudia's frustration at being stuck in a child's body for eternity and understood how Lestat's bitterness about his own mortal death fueled his need to feed on those with the most to live for.

I don't hate Twilight - I just wouldn't bother reading more of it. My sensible, feminist side finally slapped some sense into my gushy, teenage girl side and reminded it that Bella was good for nothing more than being a damsel in distress and Edward, her Prince Charming.

Plus, the fans are scarier than some HP fans - and I'm a HP fan myself!

BTW, even though most rabid Twilight fans are around 14, it doesn't make us all psychos. I'm 14 too. =P

Unregistered
    I agree with all of this. Twilight is becoming an obbsession for my friends. I even have some friends who refuse to admit they even know that Edward is fictional. He is pictured asthe ideal man, but he shows symptoms for being an abusive spouse, and is over controlling. Bella seriously needs to get a life (perferably not one called edward).

The pheonix

Brickwall

Quote Originally Posted by biteme-twilight<3 View Post
    ok. i have some questions 2 ask you before i start fuming.

1.ARE YOU INSANE!?1?!?!?!?!?!
    2.WHAT ON EARTH COULD POSSIBLY BE WRONG WITH THIS SERIES!?!!!??
    3.What is your name, address and phone number, just so that i can track you down ank kill You with my super awesom vampire powers THAT I AQUIRED FROM READING THE SERIES!!!!!!!!!!
    4.do you WANT a cult of angry twilight luvers like mysef at your doorstep at night trying to behead you????? you shouldnt voice an absurd oppinion like this on the internet.
    5.(this isnt a question, more of a statment.) you must have not read much good litterature in youre life, because if you cannot appreciate the quality of this art.....YOU ARE MENTALLY UNSOUND!!!!!!!
    6.thank you i think i am done fuming.(*takes a deep breath)
    7.pls email me at [email protected] i would luv 2 argue with you firther.
    byebye, you are insane
    -biteme<3
    Okay, if you're will to kill someone over a trashy romance, you need to be commited. Secondly, if you say that he can't appreciate good literature, go F*** yourself, twilight sucks, Bella's just some perfect little snowflake with no flaws what so ever. Also, it takes the actual vampire created by the true literary master BRAM STOKER, and hits it with a shovel untill you can hardly recognize it. Thank you, get a life.

Unregistered

Band Aid

Quote Originally Posted by biteme-twilight<3 View Post
    ok. i have some questions 2 ask you before i start fuming.

1.ARE YOU INSANE!?1?!?!?!?!?!
    2.WHAT ON EARTH COULD POSSIBLY BE WRONG WITH THIS SERIES!?!!!??
    3.What is your name, address and phone number, just so that i can track you down ank kill You with my super awesom vampire powers THAT I AQUIRED FROM READING THE SERIES!!!!!!!!!!
    4.do you WANT a cult of angry twilight luvers like mysef at your doorstep at night trying to behead you????? you shouldnt voice an absurd oppinion like this on the internet.
    5.(this isnt a question, more of a statment.) you must have not read much good litterature in youre life, because if you cannot appreciate the quality of this art.....YOU ARE MENTALLY UNSOUND!!!!!!!
    6.thank you i think i am done fuming.(*takes a deep breath)
    7.pls email me at [email protected] i would luv 2 argue with you firther.
    byebye, you are insane
    -biteme<3
    Your Mom.
    1 2 3 Fake Street
    1-800-SUCK-IT

Seriously...Twilight-Fans are bloody mental...

Unregistered
    I love you all, immensely. Bella and Edward are a boring, stupid version of Buffy and Angel. Go watch some Whedon, kiddies. And definitely read Anne Rice. THOSE are vampires.

Unregistered

Alarmclock I totally agree

It's a co-dependent relationship stripped down to the bare essentials. Girl: "I can't live without you. I want to change myself to be with you." Boy: "If you leave me, I will kill myself."

It's ridiculous.

I can't believe what it's teaching young people of this generation.

Unregistered
    Oh thank god im not alone in this! All my friends are fucking OBSESSED with this series. I will admit, i read it right when it came out (before all the hype) and enjoyed it a lot. It's an entertaining, fun, easy read but not anywhere near as fantastic as books like Kite Runner, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, and Alice in Wonderland. I actually had a friend who said that Stephenie Meyer is the next JK Rowling! Harry Potter was a million times better than Twilight. At least IT wasnt predictable and full of shallow, codependent characters. Edward is ridiculous. Why all these girls admire him is beyond me. 1. He's fictional. 2. He's perfect. 3. Jacob, who has much more substance to him in the later books, is a better choice. I liked the books and I plan on reading the next but I don't understand why there are so many crazy fan girls. It's just a book (and a book with a bad message at that)

Unregistered
    I would have to agree totally. In the books, Meyer insinuates that Edward loves Bella for her uniqueness and her deep mind but there is nothing there. Bellas only deep thoughts are Edward is so perfect i love him. If Meyer wants readers to belive that Bella is really deep and thoughful then she needs to write more than Edward left me and now i feel really depressed. I hated the second book and the only reason i kept on reading was to see if Bella could redeem herself by getting over him.

Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast