[IMG]http://simplefeed.consumerreports.org/rsrc/i/1/_/10_questions_for_katherine_steiger_professional__8 77554735/4.gif?f=3dcb3160-01dc-11dc-32a2-0019bbc55f7f&s=AewyNia7NTvDvhaDemju5DEsbnVsbCwwLDA *[/IMG] 10 Questions for . . . Katherine Steiger, Professional Organizer
In this installment of 10 Questions for . . . , Senior Editor Daniel DiClerico talks to Katherine Steiger, a professional organizer whose company, Right Stuff Organizing, helps households in the Boston area combat clutter. Steiger shares her tricks of the trade and favorite sources and explains how to keep things organized with kids in the house.
What are the most common sources of clutter in the home?
Mailis one of the biggest causes of clutter. It's relentless, and peoplejust don't know how to deal with it. The first thing is to get yourname off the mailing lists by visiting the Direct Marketing AssociationWeb site. That will put an end to unwanted catalogues. Also, don'tsubscribe to things that you don't read.
I encourage clients to deposit unwanted mail directly in therecycling bin. It can take some time to get off the mailing lists andcancel subscriptions, so this is a good stopgap. If the mail comesthrough a slot in the front door, keep the recycling bin right there.That might not be the most elegant solution, but if you're entertainingyou can always move the bin temporarily. The important thing is to stopthe pile up of papers.
In general, what does it take to live an organized life?
Ioften say to my clients, "Be ruthless." The general rule is if youhaven't used something in a year, you're probably not going to ever useit. Maybe there's that one roasting pan you use for Thanksgiving thatyou do need?you don't want to spend $100 every year to buy a new one.But if you haven't touched the thing in 10 years, you're probably notthe one hosting Thanksgiving. So you really need to be honest withyourself. It's the same with clothing. If you haven't worn an outfitfor a whole cycle of seasons, get rid of it. Here's where charitieshelp. People always feel better donating clothing than tossing it inthe garbage. There's a charity called Dress for Success that preparesout-of-work women for job interviews, including giving them an outfit.Charities are one of the organizer's greatest tools. OnlineOrganizing.comhas clearinghouse of organizations that makes it easy to donate justabout anything.
There are so many products out there geared toward organization. Are they useful?
Peopleoften think if they just buy the right stuff their lives will beperfect. You can spend $200 at the Container Store or Target, but ifthe products don't get used they haven't helped you. So first you haveto figure out what you're going to be left with. Professionalorganizers use the acronym SPACE:
  • Sort the stuff.
  • Purge those items youno longer use.
  • Assign the keepers a place.
  • Pick a Container.
  • Equalize?if one comes in, one goes out.
So you see, products are faralong in the process. When the time comes, containers should be sizedrelative to what you have?little things in little containers and bigthings in bigger containers. And it's always better to use clearcontainers so that you can see what's inside.
How has the green movement affected home organization?
Abig challenge I find is older homes that weren't designed to cope withmodern recycling needs. Just figuring out a place where clients cankeep a bin or basket is tricky. But there are a lot of retractable trashcans and recycling systems that can be tucked into a cabinet, solving the spatial problem. Sometimes products are the answer.
Another great green organizing resource is Freecycle. Thiscommunity-based Web site allows you to give away items to or get themfrom other people in the network. Often you have something that youjust don't need anymore and that isn't valuable enough to sell but maynot fit within your local charity's donation guidelines. For instance,most charities don't take Legos and other toys for safety reasons.Freecycle is a way to keep them out of the landfill.
The kitchen is command central in many households. What are some tips for keeping one orderly?
The biggest step is getting rid of the stuff you don't use. We all haveitems crammed in the back of cabinets, the ice-cream or bread maker orthe special late-night-TV slicer that we got as a gift 10 years ago.These items should not be taking cabinets space away from things youuse every day. If you really do make ice cream once a year for theLabor Day picnic, that's fine. But move the maker to a shelf in thebasement.
Once you've purged, you need to create centers of activity. That's aconcept organizers use a lot, not just in kitchens. The goal is tocreate zones where you do the same kinds of activities. That might meanputting all your baking stuff together in a cabinet by the oven andkeeping the things that you need for food prep by an island countertop.It's also important to create a landing pad in the kitchen, since it'susually the first and last point of entry for families. A dedicatedspot for keys and cell phones will keep you from hunting around forthem when you leave. It will also keep the counters clear. You can'tlet this prime real estate get cluttered with unnecessary stuff.
How did you become a professional organizer?
I had a longcareer as a banker, but there came a point when I decided I didn't wantto be on planes and in boardrooms all the time. So I left the corporateworld to spend more time with my family. Around that time we moved intoa new house. I set up every room exactly how I wanted it, redid all theclosets, organized the kitchen just so, and outfitted the laundry roomthe way you see in magazines. When friends came to visit, they wouldsay, "My gosh, will you come over to my house?"
I didn't know there was such a thing as a professional organizer,but then I discovered the National Association of ProfessionalOrganizers. So I took some classes, joined NAPO and NAPO New England. Iapprenticed with someone who's been organizing for a very long timebefore going out on my own about two and a half years ago.
Can you describe your typical client?
My focus is residential. I like to work with families because that's what I know best and where my strengths lie.
Can kids be taught the value of organization?

Not only canthey be taught organization but they also crave it. Ask a child if hewants to live in chaos or in an organized environment, and he'll chooseorder every time. The secret is creating kid friendly solutions. I tellthe story of the 9-year boy who was always leaving dirty clothes on thefloor. His mom said to me, "There's a hamper in the bathroom, but Ijust can't get him to carry his clothes down the hall." I said to her,"He's nine. You're never going to get him to do that." The solution wasto hang the hamper on the back of his bedroom closet door. He startedusing it right away.
A lot of parents don't implement systems to help kids keep theirstuff in order. If you go into a nursery school or kindergarten, thetoys are all in clear, labeled bins and the kids actually pick up afterthemselves. Compare that with the toy boxes I see in some homes. A toybox is a big black hole full of stuff that kids are constantly huntingthrough, breaking toys and getting frustrated. (Editor's note: Toychests can be dangerous, as this recent post from our Safety Blog shows.) I prefer open shelves or cubbies, with clearly written labels.I think every home should have a labeler. If you don't want to go outand buy one, you can always use tape and markers. And if the kids arevery young, use pictures to indicate what goes where. Start them early,and being organized is all they'll know.
How does your organizing process work?
I start with aphone interview to be sure their needs align with my strengths. Then Iset up a complimentary half-hour appointment. This gives the client andme a chance to see if we want to work together. If we do, I'll proposean action plan. The first session goes for a minimum of three hours butno more than five. Organizing can be exhausting, especially if there'san emotional component, for example organizing a child's room in whichevery object has a story behind it or some sentimental value. Weusually can't accomplish every step together, so I'll leave a list ofthings to get through before the next session. This empowers people torealize that they can do it on their own.
Are women more or less organized than men?
I don't know ifI want to touch that one! But I will say that when I work with singleclients, as opposed to families, it's the men who tend to be much moredisorganized. They seem to wait to go way off the deep end beforeasking for help. It's like refusing to ask for directions until you'retotally lost. I had a guy call me who hadn't opened his mail in twoyears! He'd been paying his bills online but the rest of it had piledup.
Essential information: Read our review of closet and garage organizers. And use our Home Improvement Guide interactive for buying advice on appliances, tools, and building materials for the kitchen and other areas of your home.
Subscribe now!
Subscribe to ConsumerReports.org for expert Ratings, buying advice and reliability on hundreds of products. Update your feed preferences