Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Does anyone know good places to go hiking in Scotland?

I'm planning a trip to Scotland with my family, and we simply can't decide where to go for a good hike that's not too difficult for me and my parents to do together. Any suggestions?

Junior Member whycantigetagoodnickname's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Depends where you are travelling from. If you are say, driving up there from London then you cant really go too far north (8 hours to Glasgow and then another 3 hours to Fort William is a long journey) so that depends where you can get to. You could try hills around Loch Lomond try some of the west highland way - low level walking but good scenery, or further north waking around Arrocher. While you are there you could try Ben Lomond - Glasgows mountain which has a good path but its a long slog to the top

How long are you going for by the way? If you are going for a while you could try the West Highland way, or the Great Glen way (google them).

Going further north from Glasgow, you could try around Fort William or Oban. Both towns are nice and there is hill walking - up hills or around them to do and of course the option of a town to visit.

My personal favourite is further north again - the Torridon area where the scenery is good, but I see the hills and want to climb them so I dont know about the low level easier walks up there.

So thats the west coast. Oh you could also visit some of the islands - Skye etc...

Now to go up the middle of the country.....

I would think about how far you want to travel and see the areas you can get to -and after that use the internet or look in a book shop at the maps of the area, or guide books, to see what walking there is in the area and I think wherever you get to there will be good places to go to.

Oh, another consideration is to find something to do on the days it rains

Downloads
    Uploads
    Try the West Highland way, very popular with hikers. Very stunning scenery and will take you up the west coast of the country.