Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

What's wrong with my Audi? Ignition Switch Problem? Audi expert needed!?

I just bought a 1998 Audi A4 1.8T and it been a dream so far, until this problem started.

I start the car with the clutch pedal all the way to the floor, turn the key, and everything runs as it should. The problem comes when I release the clutch and start to press it back in I get a high pitched grind noise. This noise only occurs when I push the clutch all the way in. I can push the clutch in enough to switch gears and I am able to drive around fine though.

A fellow audi enthusiast suggested that it could be a problem with my ignition switch, it may be worn and the starter may just be always on and causing the noise when the flywheel engages. Not sure what to make of that though. Any insight would be helpful!

Downloads
    Uploads
    If your starter were always on, what would that have to do with your clutch? If you need any more convincing, you can try to run the starter with the vehicle on one time and listen to the constant, ear splitting grind your vehicle makes (though I don't recommend it). They starter is set to spin but so fast, if it is always on (which I've never actually heard of or seen happen) it would make a continuous grinding noise and then the teeth would break and then your vehicle would not start. Your problem sounds like it's in your clutch kit itself (you have a hydraulic clutch, so none of the linkage is going to make that kind of a noise). The grinding sounds like a bad release bearing, but both the release and pilot bearings will come with your clutch kit. The flywheel does not engage the way you are thinking. The flywheel is constantly connected to the motor (which is why turning the starter turns the motor). When your foot is OFF the clutch, it is "engaged" - the springs push the pressure plate against the clutch against against the flywheel, connecting the motor to the transmission. When you apply the pedal, the pressure plate is pushed away from the clutch, causing the engine and transmission to no longer be connected, allowing you to shift gears without grinding them. Check out this article on how stuff works.