Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

should my guinea pig be scratching still?

my guinea pig has been injected 4 mites but its been 4/5 days now n shes still scratching and biting. is this normal? also the vet said to come bk in 3 weeks but i heard that its suppose to be 7-10 days. any 1 no wat to do?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hhhmm. Certainly the injection we use, ivermectin, involves a course of 3-4 injections a week apart - just like you say. 4-5 days is still very early days.
    I would call your vet, double check when you're supposed to be coming back for your next appointment and just ask how whether it's normal for her to still be scratching.
    The product that I now tend to use instead is a spot-on that you can take home and it's a tube on the back of the neck every 2 weeks for 6 weeks. It's called xeno 450, I think!
    The main parasite that we see which causes problems is Cheyletiella - aka walking dandruff.

Downloads
    Uploads
    We have this spray that we put on our Guinea Pig, but he also scratches alot. Phone your vet up and see if they can come in a bit earlier to give her a check up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Scratching is a common skin problem in guinea pigs, and there are multiple causes. Some of the most common are parasites, including fleas, mites, and lice. Ctrenocephalides felis (the cat flea) is the most common flea affecting guinea pigs. They usually become infested when another pet in the house brings in the fleas from outside. As in other animals, fleas cause guinea pigs to scratch. Fleas may also cause hair loss (alopecia), crusty lesions on the skin, and even anemia, if the fleas are in high number.

A flea comb can be helpful in finding fleas. Comb the guinea pig and then look for fleas or dark brown granules. These granules are called "flea dirt," which is actually the feces of the flea, and is primarily digested blood. Along with the eggs, the female flea deposits a large amount of feces, which will serve as food for the larvae when they hatch. The flea dirt will dissolve into a red color when moistened.

For treatment, a pyrethrin-containing product suitable for cats is often used. The safety of many of the other treatments developed for cats and dogs has not been determined in guinea pigs. Contact your veterinarian before using any insecticide on your guinea pig. Other pets in the house, and the environment must be treated as well. There are two mites that cause skin problems in guinea pigs. Trixacarus (Caviacoptes) caviae is the most common mite and the most common parasite that causes scratching. This mite is related to the mite in dogs that causes sarcoptic mange. The other common mite is Chirodiscoides caviae.

Downloads
    Uploads
    guinea pigs freak me out.