Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Unregistered

Dude5 Do not buy hughes net

The company should be shut down for all its false claims and outrageous prices. There is no possible way to play any good games online, I seriously want to go outside right now and shoot the god forsaken ugly POS dish hanging from my roof, Oh and not to forget the pile of junk HN9000 modem almost burned my house down!!! it had gotten so hot that it melted the case. DO NOT BUY!

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    The problem isn't the download or upload speed of the service, it's the ping times. Any satellite service is going to have uplink/downlink delays of about 2 seconds (I used to write software for satellite communications). You need good ping times (<150ms) to get any kind of performance out of online shooters, otherwise, the time it takes for your client (xbox, pc, whatever) to update the server with your new position, action (shooting, etc) and the time it takes for the server to update your client is going to be too long and you're going to see long lag times.

If you live in a rural area like I do, you basically have two options:

1. Try to find out if a WiMax or other long-range-WiFi provider--such as ClearWire--has moved into your area... they general connect antennas to existing infrastructure (such as water towers and grain silos) and can broadcast an 11mb signal out about 6 miles or so, depending on terrain, giving you an effective 1-4mb download link, half that for upload, and 25-45ms ping times, depending on a variety of factors

2. Use one of the cell-provider broadband services if available in your area--Verizon/Sprint/etc.--which will give you anywhere from a 1xRTT download speed (128kbps) to Rev-A EVDO which will give you up to 2mbps speeds

3. Pray that someone at the local cable/phone provider makes a clerical error and puts digital repeaters in your area and runs service to your house, which is about as likely as getting struck by lightening

The biggest drawback with option 2 is the 5gb/month cap (with possibly huge overage charges if exceeded) and the cost, which is anywhere from $60-100/month.

Good luck.
    Verizons overage charge is .25 cents PER megabite (sp). And yes I played MW2 on it fine on the PS3 but my bill was $800.00 dollars US. IT SUCKED but it was fast.

zombie freak

black ops

Currency Dollar hus

Unregistered

Cd live

dose hughes net work for xbox live and black ops hellp""" thanks""

Unregistered
    I had the same problem. I live out in the country and Hughesnet was our last option. We hooked everything up right and it acted like I had Xbox live (gave me a gamertag and everything) ,but everytime I tried to play MW2 and Black Ops online it kept searching for a game for like hours. So I pretty much gave up. It did let me play training camp mode but that's it. Hughes net sucks!

Unregistered
    I currently live in the country, its terrible for online gaming, i used to game it up good, but it lags so bad its not even worth my time, and within 5 minuites of playing i get really stressed... any other internets that offer in the boonies?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123