Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dog must be in a crate all day, and whines constantly?

I have a 4 year old Jack Russell Terrier who recently had surgery because of a diaphragmatic hernia and the vet told us to keep her in a crate for 2 weeks at least so that she doesn't accidently pull the stitches out. It's been a few days, and by now, the stitches arn't tender and she feels fine.

When I left the house to go for a walk, she somehow burst out of the cage. Thankfully, she didn't do any damage to her stitches.

She cries and tries to escape from the crate whenever she is left in the room alone. She feels better and doesn't understand why she must stay in her crate all day. What can I do to make her happier, but still keep her out of trouble?

Downloads
    Uploads
    smaller dogs have higher energy, higher energy means more likely to rip the stitches out. i don't know if any one has worked at a vet, but i do and it is very sad when a dog has to go back with half it's intestines hanging out because the owner let them run around. if you let her out occasionally you must make sure that she stays calm and isn't jumping around. kongs and bones will help alot. there are also herbs to calm dogs, benadril also works for calming dogs. i would call the vet to see what they recommend to keep the dog occupied or al least calm. crateing is not cruel, exposed insides is.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Im sorry I would be asking for a second opinion or calling the vet to make sure you got the info right as that sounds cruel to me . 2 weeks in a cage Oh sorry crate .... nope not good poor thing will go mad by the sound of it ...

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is a way to get a dog used to being in a crate:

First, leave the dog in one room for several days. Then fence off a portion of the room that still gives her lots of space, but is smaller than the entire room. After a few days, fence off an even smaller space (in the same room). After doing this several times, you should be ready to put her in a crate. (By doing the above process, you're gradually conditioning her to a smaller area. Fact: Dogs aren't as lonely when they're in a smaller space than when they're in a larger space. Being in a smaller space makes them feel more comfortable and secure.)

Put a comfortable blanket inside the crate, and, if possible, one of your shirts so that your dog will feel like you're there when you're not. Before you do this, though, leave the crate around the house so your dog gets comfortable with it around. When you feel that she's ready, open the door and sit next to the crate, asking her to go inside. Once she settles down and gets inside DO NOT CLOSE THE CRATE DOOR. Let her lay inside the crate for a minute or two so that she doesn't feel trapped inside. Then, after several minutes of her calm and inside the cage, close the door. Leave her in for a little while, then open the door, but do not let her out if she tries to step out. If you do this, she will eventually be used to darting out of the crate whenever the door opens and will learn to be excited and anxious about being let out of the crate. Remember, being inside the crate should be a POSITIVE experience, not a negative one. Sit next to the crate for about a minute, but (the door is still open) do not let her step out herself. She should only come out when you invite her to. When you feel it's been about a minute, invite her to come out. When she does you can pet her and do whatever you'd like. Continue to do this for longer periods of time until she is comfortable with using the crate, but BE PATIENT. Over time, she will learn to think of the crate as a positive experience.

Let me know if you need any more help and tips on how to help your dog! I hope all goes well! Good luck!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would ask the vet if they can stay out some of the day. i think they say that cause JRT are high strung... so keeping her pinned up in a kennel would help them not to be too active and hurt them selves.

Good luck. i really would call and ask the vet about it!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Try frozen kongs and new bones.

It's always sad when you have to crate them for their own good. Hang in there. It will get better.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm sure u would feel the same way if u were in a crate all day. I would be bored! Try getting her soem toys to occupy her. One that i recomend highly is one of those toys that u can put food inside and the dog tries to get it out. That entertains my dogs for hours!