Good Yearbook Themes?

karahhh

Jul 18, 2008
Okay, so I'm going to be editor of the yearbook next year, and I'm starting to think of themes. Last year, we did a Time theme, and that was really easy to incorporate with each page. So I'm looking for new themes. I don't really like the movie cinema type of themes, because it just seems kind of cheesey to me.

Also, we work with Jostens, so there's both pre designed layouts, and tools to make our own layouts. Last year, we did our own layouts, and it looked pretty good. But then I compared it to another school's yearbook, and they had pre designed layouts so that each page coordinated perfectly with each other. It looked a lot more "complete" and flowed better, I guess, than our yearbook, but I can tell that our staff probably worked at lot harder. It's a lot harder (although more creative) to design your own pages than to use pre made professionally designed ones. Which do you think is better-- pre designed, or make your own?

Hi. Sorry that the only response on this page is so stupid. So I don't know if this will be any help now, but I'm on my school's yearbook team and from my experience using the templates is so much better! They look really good, better than the ones everyone makes on their own and it is easier and a lot less stress for us. As for themes, our school is doing hollywood and it's pretty cool. Two years ago we did "road trip" which also worked well.

Hey I'm the Editor of my school's yearbook this year and some great theme ideas we came up with were
- Technology (facebook, blackberry, YouTube)
- Board Games (snakes and ladders, scrabble, sorry)
- Green Revolution (with all the green-movements going on, green is a great theme)
- Famous Companies (McDonalds, RIM, FOX, Air Miles, Royal Bank : this one is easily applied to all areas of the school)

Hi, I am also the editor for my schools yearbook. We use Jostens as well. For your question about whether or not to use templates, use templates. I made it mandatory that all my staff use templates. It made the result much better looking. As for the theme goes... My school used the theme "student life" and the motto "pass it on" last year. That theme can go far, if you take the time to make it look good. I'd like to quickly note something on someone else's post, you are not aloud to use copyrighted and trademarked names, such as RIM or McDonalds. That goes for boardgames too. I like that last persons suggestion on "Green Revolution". You could always do your schools color too, like "Blue Revolution". Something along those lines. Good luck.

hoods and

i am on the yearbook staff. next yer i am going to be a senior editor and so i am helping to look for a theme next year. :} so far i have seen some good ideas on the internet one of them was a
CSI one ( Cool Student Information) i thought that was really cool. it was used so u can think of something along that line

Ummm...Im going to be editor of my yearbook next year too and were trying to think of themes too...we were thinking of doing something like Off the Wall but were having trouble with lableing each section...this year our theme was "It All Depends" then our sections were like it all depends on who you know(ads), on what you do(clubs and orgs), on how bad you want it(sports) on how you precieve(academics) etc...also we we work with Taylor publishing but we were considering using set templates...we currently design our own spreads using InDesign and we discussed that having each page look exactly alike didnt really express us and sometimes it can be difficult depending on your story or pictures and templates are too restricting nor are they really creative...not to totally down those using templates but we prefer designing our own spreads

I am the teacher advisor for our school's yearbook. We worked with Jostens in the past. In answer to your question, about templates, USE THEM!! Most people don't have the experience or knowledge about design to make their own templates. If you want to be a bit creative, I know with Jostens, you can play with the templates to make them your own, but for the most part, you should stick with them. You'll just end up spending more time on pages if you try to create your own templates from scratch & as you probably know, putting together a good yearbook takes a lot of time. As for the theme, everyone here has such great ideas! But really, the theme should reflect your school and maybe you should be talking to other students at your school for ideas.

i am on staff and just became editor of my school's yearbook. and last year our theme was: define us; we are! for the ppl pages our division said: WE ARE UNITED. and to tie in each pages our page numbers were thumbprints. aand our titles and subtitles were definitions

my school tends to make our own, or we take a pre made layout and then adjust it, just so it seems more personal

I think a good idea would be that you should have one htat has jokes all over it. Like use this one. Wanna hear a dirty joke? A horse rolled in mud. BAHHAHAHAHAH. It's funny because the horse is getting dirty and it's called a dirty joke

My school uses Jostons, we designed our own pages and it turned out great. The thing that tied our book all together was that the editors put colour and shape restrictions. By limiting things it harmonized our book (ie all the corners of boxes were rounded we used 4 colours and the font was the same size for titles and copy)

we did technology last year worked well ia m also looking for a theme for this year

I will be our yearbook editor next year also and this year we used the theme "Perspective" and how when you look at something there is more than one way to understand it. We also designed all of our pages/sections but we are a small school so we have the time to do that.

Back