Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

why is my internet so slow?

i have qwest high speed internet but my dell is still slow it has windows xp is there anything i can do to make it faster

Downloads
    Uploads
    Clear your temporary internet files and cookies by selecting Tools>Internet Options and under History select "Delete...". From there a pop up should appear and click "Delete files..." and "Delete cookies...".

If that doesn't help, you might have spyware. Believe it or not, most computer that have spyware don't even act different. They just are a little bit slow. To get rid of spyware, download a free, widely acclaimed spyware removal program called Spybot S&D here:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

If that doesn't work, it might be your computer. Follow these directions:

1. Remove programs that you never use anymore by going into Control Panel and selecting "Add and Remove Programs". From there, there will be a list that include the programs, software, and games that you currently have on your computer. If you want to remove a program, highlight that program and click Change/Remove. From there, there will be an window that contains the options "Repair" and "Uninstall". Click "Uninstall".

2. Clear your harddrive of temporary files. These files slow down your computer immensely. You can do this by downloading CCleaner: http://majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_No_Y... After you install this program, start it and press "Run Cleaner". It should take only about 5 minutes or less.

3. Remove Invalid Registry Entries. These also slow down your computer. And guess what! You can remove these by starting CCleaner and on the left side, click "Registry". From there, select "Scan for Issues". It might take a minute. After that, select "Fix selected Issues...".

4. Delete Unnecessary Startup Processes. This is a HUGE culprit on the average PC computer. Ever wonder why your computer is so slow on startup? This is because your computer is loading up programs like iTunes, Quicktime, etc. You can delete these processes with no deletion of the program by using CCleaner. Once you start up CCleaner, select tools on the left hand side and then select "Startup". From here, you can delete startup processes like AIM, RealPlayer, and Quicktime. WARNING: There are no backups to these processes, so if you delete a Windows process, you will either have to reinstall or turn to a professional.

5. After deleting all of those things, you will have a HUGE space in your harddrive. Problem is, it doesn't make much of a difference in speed. To finalize the spaces that you have made, you need to defragment your harddrive. This is a lengthy process, but it works in the end. What you need to do is press Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Defragmenter. From here, you select your main drive and then select "Defragment". If you haven't defragmented in a while, or never have, it will take a LONG time. Maybe 1-5 hours. But it all is worth it at the end.

This will take awhile, but in the end, your computer could get 50% faster.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JR. View Post
    i have qwest high speed internet but my dell is still slow it has windows xp is there anything i can do to make it faster
    Hi here i list out some reasons which make your internet slow .They are

1.Outdated web browser.
    2.Solid objects blocking the way of wi-fi signals.
    3.Other might know your wi-fi password, thus they have access to it.
    4.Some softwares install malware on your computer, which eat up alot of bandwitch.
    5.Unaware of seeding torrents.
    6.Viruses in your computer.
    Now here i list out some tips to increase your speed they are
    1.Update your browser.
    2.Place your router in a better place: Lots of thing can impact the stength the impact of a wireless broadband. All solid objects affect it including, Walls, Doors and even chairs. So it is reccomended to place your router in a high platform such as a bookshelf.
    3.secure your network .
    4.Use less bandwidth .
    5.Frequently scan your computer for virus.....
    Then check your internet speed through sites like ScanmySpeed.com ....Sure you will see vast difference in your speed results....