Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is there any way I can rent a car through the DMV, so I can take my road test?

I don't have a car, and can't think of anyone, who's car I can borrow for the day. A friend told me that I could rent a car by the hour, at the DMV, so i could take my test. Is this true? And if it is, how much would it cost? I'll be taking my test in either Topsham, or Lewiston Maine, if that makes any difference.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry not anywhere I know of. Don't have any friends that can help or relatives. Sorry Hope you work it out!

Downloads
    Uploads
    >> me that I could rent a car by the hour, at the DMV,

That's funny... Somebody's been talking out their A$$$$$.....

===
    Go rent a car at regular car rental shop. Of course you will need to get somebody who has a license.

YOu can always call a driving school. But they usually require an appointment - but hey you never know if there might be a school desperate for money.

Good Luck...

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Maine DMV does not rent cars, I don't think any DMV does that.

You could call around and see if a drivers ed school would let you use their car. Or borrow one from a friend. Those are the best options I think.

I think renting from Hertz, etc would be pretty complicated. You'd need someone w/a valid license to rent with you and drive to the test center with you. And you'd need to find a rental company that is willing to let someone with only a learners permit have permission to drive the car. The DMV checks registration and stuff on the car you bring so I doubt you could use a rental car unless your name was actually on the rental papers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've never heard of any state's DMV allowing that, but it's worth a call to them, at least.

If you have a friend or family member with a license & a credit card, Enterprise rents cars for around $20 a day....ends up being closer to $40 once you add taxes though. Ugly Duckling and Rent-A-Wreck also has cheap daily rental prices. They don't have to know you're going to use it for your license test ......just be careful with it!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't think so but give them a call. Good luck on the test.

Downloads
    Uploads
    instead of paying money to rent a car, pay for driving instructions, they'll teach you and they'll give you the test, using one of the cars they teach you with. Also depending on which state you're in you may get perks for taking a driving class towards your license.