Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    maria t

How long does a retail store have to collect money from someone who stole?

My sister was caught stealing from old navy, the police were called in but in the end they decided not to press any charges against her. They took her info and a polaroid of her face & the merchandise she tried to steal & was told never to enter that store again or she WOULD be arrested.
    She signed a paper stating that the store had the right to charge her up tp 5x's the amount of what she stole.
    What is the time span that a store has to charge her for this?
    1/2/3/4/ years etc?
    or does she have to check they mail for the rest of her life waiting for a letter?
    any helpful advice is appreciated =o)

p.s - she learned her lesson....stealing is bad..obviously <3

Robert S
    sounds like blackmail. If she was not legaly charged and arrested, they have no legal claim and she can calim intimidation and blackmail against the company. Better just to stay out of the store and nothing will probably happen.

abominusprime
    its called CIVIL DEMAND. its up to the court to decide when it happens. if im not mistaken, the state pays the store for the amount and then the state charges you. i believe thats how it works. but the store actually has to pursue it. if the merchandise wasnt damaged or anything, most places will just let it go. you're not actually paying for the stolen item. you're paying for the time it takes them to take care of you, call the cops, keep their people off the floor, and for anything that might get stolen while they're busy dealing with you in the back. thats why they can charge MORE than what the item is worth.

Just wonderin'
    It sounds to me like she made a decision to agree to the restitution (5x stolen amount) in exchange for not pressing charges. If she signed it, then she is responsible to pay for it. Have you ever heard the phrase " if you can't do the time, don't do the crime"? She needs to learn the lesson that not only is stealing bad, but that there are consequences for illegal behavior. She has not actually paid any price for her error. It's time to pony up and pay what she agreed to.

Songbyrd11
    It is a scare tactic to keep her the heck out of old Navy. Also, I see not court backing that claim. The store lost no money since the property was returned. I would say she has little to worry about....besides, it's old navy.