I'm thinking of taking a vacation to Mexico City the first week of October. I am single and would be going alone. I realize that I would need to exercise common sense about going out alone at night and such, but other than that, would I be safe going out on my own? Certainly it's safe to walk around on your own in the daytime and go out to dinner? Would I get any weird looks being a single white woman eating alone in a restaurant?

Another question: which is the best location to stay, Centro Historico or Zona Rosa? I'm much more into museums than clubs. I'm 34, though I'm told I look much younger than I am. Anyway, I'm not a clubber or a big drinker. And, lastly, if I do get a bit lonely is there somewhere people go just to hang out and talk; somewhere people would be open to having some stranger come up and talk to them out of the blue! Thanks for all suggestions and help!!!

Would prefer answers left by people who have actually BEEN to Mexico City and know something about it, not people who say, "Don't go there!" just from what they've heard.