Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

How to scream like oliver sykes from bring me the horizon?

Love the music. and im starting a band just like them.
    but i have NO idea how they sing like that. and I'd love to.
    i wanna scream high pitch, and that low pitched growl.
    please instruct me on how to do this lol.

and i'd also like to add, dont give me some stupid answer, i didnt ask this question so i could read: just hurt yourself, that will make you scream! .

no. thats dumb.
    but if you give me a real answer, than thanks.

Unregistered
    i can scream like the but i sorry i have NO idea how i do it i just go for it but make sure to scream with your diaphram and if it hurts DO NOT DO IT!

Unregistered
    you have to learn to strain your voice properly. when i started[ im a girl and screamer in a band] i did it wrong and it hurt! then i lst my voice for a week! if it hurts STOP DO NOT DO IT! if you really wanna scream good check out the dvd "the zen of screaming" it helps a lot. hope it helps. oh and when you do an angry "ugh" noise try to carry on that tune the deep growl. thats a death growl! member USE YOUR DIAPHRAM TO DISTORT YOUR SCREAM ENOUGH!

Downloads
    Uploads

How to scream high

Hey Bro,

You need to condition your voice for screaming to be able to scream. That's the first thing. The second thing is that you need to be serious about this. If you don't feel like dedicating yourself to this, then don't even try. I've been screaming for only two years and I'm just now getting good. I've had friends who tried and they just couldn't because they didn't try hard enough. They wouldn't stop drinking soda or stop smoking, so they never could figure it out. The key is to keep going and not give up. Face it. You are going to sound bad at first, but keep trying.

This is for screaming high.

So to condition your voice, drink only water and go without soda for about three weeks. When you have that done, warm your voice up by singing. Just play a song that you know and sing along to it. Keep singing it for a few minutes. Notice how your vocal chords feel tense after you keep singing for a while? When they get that tense feeling, you are ready to go. So take a breath and breathe from your diaphragm. And you will surely ask, "How do I breathe from my diaphragm?" Breathe in and don't let your shoulders raise or your chest poke out too much, just let your lungs fill up with air by pushing your stomach out. This is important. If you don't do this, your scream will sound bad, you'll get light headed, you'll hurt your throat, and not be able to hold out screams for nearly as long. You'll know that your doing it right if your stomach pokes out when you do it.

Now sing high in your falsetto and push the air out of your lungs hard, but try to tighten your vocal chords slightly and put the sound in the back of your mouth to make it sound more nasally. To get the right "voice," do this in falsetto. Your falsetto is the voice above your speaking voice. It's the voice Mario and lot of cartoon characters use. Get that Mario voice ready and just keep trying. Scream along to bands that use the same high scream technique, such as Emmure, Beneath The Sky, Bring Me The Horizon, and Job For A Cowboy.

Once you get the high, move on to mids and lows.

I'm no expert, but here are some tips.

1. Warm up by singing first, then start screaming. I do this before every practice, recording session, etc.

2. Drink water, never soda. The carbonic acid in carbonated drinks is terrible for you and your vocal chords.

3. If it hurts, then you are most likely doing it wrong. Minor tenseness or pain is natural. Bleeding, dryness, scratchiness, or intense pain is a good indication that you are doing it wrong and should stop to let your voice heal.

4. To let your voice heal, don't ever use it. Don't talk, sing, hum, scream, or yell, and definitely do not whisper. Start screaming again when you feel better.

5. This is a scream, not a whisper. One of my major problems when I got started was that I didn't push myself enough. Loosen up and just push your voice, but don't push so hard that it kills your throat.

6. I have gotten a lot better just by running and being in shape. It increases your lung capacity so that you can hold screams out longer and make them sound stronger.

That's the way I do it. Also, everyone does things differently, because their bodies are different. Don't tell me I'm wrong or that I'm hurting myself. I'm not. I just do things differently than you do.
    Last edited by Neal89; 04-21-2009 at 12:18 AM. Reason: typo

Unregistered

Headphones Ask A PRO

lol, umm that stuff is all well and good. but man i say ask the pros, never underestimate an experts opinion. if you want you can take advice from screaming noobs. but if you actually want to sound good, find a local screamer whos been doing it for a while and are actaully good then ask him/her. oh and like all things in music it is part skill part practice but mostly just being into the music when ur on stage
    keep screaming o_o

Unregistered

yo

thanks neal89
    i am just starting to
    but for the question
    dont scream if it hurts i cant stress that enough
    its what happened to matt shadows
    also what the zen of screaming
    its on youtube

Unregistered

Gun ..

just keep on practicing,,.you have to learn basic screams before your voice is low ad high at the same time(BMTH,i killed the prom queen,napalm death..etc)

Unregistered

Gun verstiffens

neal89 is right about all of tht stuff ive been screaming for one yr now you basically gotta dedicate your life to it and drink lots of water unless your like me and dont like water drink lots of green tea with honey and dont put sugar in it because it can hurt your throat more when your scream. screaming from your diaphram is deffintly a hard thing to learn, ive notice one thing tht helps alot with helping you learn how to scream from diaphram is breathing excercises lay down on the floor and sing or take deep breaths and hold them for about 5 seconds dont do it to much or you will pass out. i started out screaming from my throat and it rly suxxx after like a couple of months. also smoking screws up your hi screams it will make your low and mid a bit deeper but when your on stage your gonna regret it.

Unregistered
    ive been screamign for two years, i started with mids because ive foudn there easiest then i moved to growls then from there it toke me about 1 and a half to learn that but now i can do olis and TDWP neal is right deticate your self to it and practice frequently and youll get it :]]

Unregistered

rummy scrvlcos

there are three techniques to screaming (death, false chord and fry). if you can do the false chord technique, then oli sykes scream (one in the starting of chelsea smile) is essentially a low pitched false chord.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast