Roaming Charges with Telus Questions.?

grand_stoker

Jul 4, 2008
If you're in a major US city, what kind of roaming charges are you charged for texting?

If you're in Ottawa and you're stationed in Calgary will you be charged a roaming charge for texting?

Thanks a lot!

Roaming charges in Canada

Are there roaming charges for Telus cell phones in Canada?

There are no roaming fees for text services if you are in Canada or the US. All texts are included in your text plan or 15 cents each without a plan.
There are also no roaming fees for voice services within Canada. Long distance charges may apply though.

Last edited:
i would have to say that what he said is wrong... if you live in calgary and travel anywhere in canada, your charges for txting will remain the same... but as soon as you cross the border and must use american signal towers to receive the txts you will be dinged for the roaming charges... i am not quite certain the cost of these roaming charges but i know for a fact (from exp) that it happens... same happens with calls

can telus tell you exactly where you used your long distance minutes?
i.e. if you have a mississauga phone number and you went to ottawa and used ur phone, would they be able to tell you that you used your roaming minutes in Ottawa?

As long as you are in Canada there is no such thing as roaming. If you check your on-line bill at mytelusmobility.com you can look under 'airtime detail' and it will tell you what tower your phone used when making a call. The tower location is listed in the 'from' column.

Long Distance

If you ahve your phone registered in Edmonton do you pay long distance if our calling to calgary? What are the charges for long distance? If you dial the number without the 1 in front of 780.. then is it still long distance or will it tell you to put the area code in?

If you make a call and the system determines that it is LD then you will get a recorded voice saying that you must dial "1" before the number. LD is charged at 35 cents per minute.

roaming charges ?

We have a "pay-as-you-go" cell phone from Telus.
Have paid the yearly $100.00 fee. We are travelling down to Arizona from BC, Canada. What will our charges be if we use this phone ?

roaming charges

yes you get nailed roaming charges. Our phones are registered in Stony Plain & my husband is in Frt. Mac our phone is one of his 5 favs & last mounth roaming charges were $103.60

The "faves" feature you have is obviously the Local option and not National. With the Local version you will pay long distance but not airtime for calls to or from your faves.There are NO roaming charges within Canada, period.

I live in Calgary Alberta I am traveling to New York City USA in a few week while I am over there I would like to text both people in calgary and people in New York City. I have unlimited texting and when I am in Canada texting the USA it doesn't cost me. Will I be charged In the USA? Because Of roaming fees/other fees?

Ripped off.

Pay as you go phones do not work on roaming.

I have an iPhone 3G S and was just billed over 60$ because I turned on my phone in seattle to check my email at a cafe and my friends had sent me over 100 texts since I'd crossed the border.

Roaming on txt msgs

Depends on your plan. I have an old plan (2.5 years old) and I don't get dinged roaming. My daughter has a new plan (1 month old) and she gets charge 45 cents per message roaming.

By just by leaving your phone on while travelling in the US creates a kind of roaming fee?

Back