Blu Ray Cd's in the future?

MylesJr

Jun 29, 2008
Will the music industry switch to Blu Ray instead of standard cd's down the road? I ask because I hear to fit the audio onto cd's the sound files have to be compressed removing some of the quality and with the large data Blu Ray can store it would be uncompressed giving us the listeners the highest quality possible. Will it happen?

I'm not sure this will happen. Certainly not in the near future.
Swithing to Blu-ray has a number of disadvantages:

- Many people don't have blue ray players, buying them is very expensive, and therefore unatractive, so people won't buy blu-ray disks to listen to. Also, production costs are much higher. So economicly it isn't really profitable, for both consumer and producer.

- Also, why hasnt any music been transfered to DVD, if we could improve quality? I think for the same reason, economic disadvantages. And furthermore, you can fit 4GB of music on a DVD, and 25GB on a blu-ray. I think the quality improvement to cost ratio is out of balance.

- Music quality on CD is generaly accepted as good enough quality, why change what works?

However, I can imagine a future where people want to buy blu-ray discs with the songs AND the music video's on them, so that they can play them and watch the video's at the same time. Maybe CD's will become disks with songs, video's, interviews, extra features, games, all band related.

So I certainly think blu-ray music has a future, but not in the format it exists in today. Certainly, a very intresting question.

I'm looking forward reading other peoples visions

Back